Search the forum,

Discuss Advise On Hot Water Supply To A Tennis Pavilion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

my local tennis club would like hot water to its pavilion, it’s only a smallish wooden clubhouse requiring hot water to two wash basins and a sink unit, floor to ceiling is only about seven feet high so no real head room for a gravity system, no gas available just basic electrics for sockets and lighting
your opinions please on my thoughts of something like an Ariston Undersink 2kw Water Heater 15 Litres, it would need the recommended pressure reducing valve, safety valve terminating outside, and expansion vessel

the water heater would be positioned so the maximum length of one 15mm copper pipe to a basin tap would be approx 15feet / 5metres and in the other direction a 15mm copper pipe to another basin tap and sink unit tap less than 6 feet / 2 metres away

hot water is only required for hand washing after toilet use and the occasional sink unit fill to wash dishes

the installation costs and running costs are an important factor for the club would this idea sound our best option, appreciate comments

thanks silhill ron

Sounds like you already have it figured out.
A 15l water heater would be a good solution. Make sure the installer has the relevant unvented ticket or your insurance won't be paying out if anything goes wrong.
thanks for your reply and comments, I,m an ex plumber (retired) and as a club member was going to tackle the job to save money
an Ariston video stated no need for the unvented ticket
you have me thinking twice now
could you clarify
silhillron

Need to be unvented qualified the only difference is under 15l you don’t need to get a building control cert

At 3kW you can wire it to a plug and use a socket. In fact this is a suggested method in the instructions for Ariston under sink heaters provided heatproof flex is used.

Certainly Ok for the 2kW version which is what I would suggest.

thanks for your comments if the unit is only 3kw does that mean our clubhouse would have the minimum requirement to power it
silhillron

You need to get the electricity supply and the earthing arrangements inspected and tested by a qualified electrician before doing anything fuirther. Get RCBO protection installed if it isn't already in place.

The wiring for this sort of clubhouse is often a DIY job by the team members to save money. If so, there's a good chance they did not oversize it by enough add a water heater to the load at a later date.

A 15l water heater would be a good solution. Make sure the installer has the relevant unvented ticket or your insurance won't be paying out if anything goes wrong.
So why did you say that when it was not true?

because it is true only difference is over 15l you need to contact building control so they can notify it

under 15l you don’t need to do this but you still need to be g3 registered/ qualified for any unvented hot water system

because it is true only difference is over 15l you need to contact building control so they can notify it

under 15l you don’t need to do this but you still need to be g3 registered/ qualified for any unvented hot water system
ShaunCorbs & GasMk1 interesting opinions thanks for your comments regarding my question will take my findings to the tennis committee, very helpful
silhillron

Help me out here.
In post 14 Gasmk1 says you don't need a G3 ticket to install 15l or have I misunderstood?

I used to think I was allowed to install up to 15l (I don't have G3) until reading on here a good few years ago that you have to have a G3 ticket to install any unvented regardless of size.
Since then I've declined jobs to fit them.

There's an FAQ section on the gov's building regs website where the question is answered in the G3 section.
''Do these requirements apply to small water heaters such as water heaters of less than 15 litres that were previously exempt?
Yes, the provision applies to all hot water systems. However, to reflect the lower risk associated with such a system, the work is not notifiable to the building control body nor is there a requirement for a certificate to be produced that states the work complies with the Building Regulations (unless the associated electrical work is notifiable for the purposes of Part P).
''

Ariston say that for 15l and under there is no need for G3 certification. Simple folk such as myself might read this and think any old plumber can install up to 15l provided they have the electrical competency or get a sparky to do the electrical side.
So - Ariston are neglecting to inform that a G3 registered engineer is needed to install the 15l heater, isn't that misleading by omission?

under 15l you don’t need to do this but you still need to be g3 registered/ qualified for any unvented hot
Help me out here.
In post 14 Gasmk1 says you don't need a G3 ticket to install 15l or have I misunderstood?

I used to think I was allowed to install up to 15l (I don't have G3) until reading on here a good few years ago that you have to have a G3 ticket to install any unvented regardless of size.

There's an FAQ section on the gov's building regs website where the question is answered in the G3 section.
''Do these requirements apply to small water heaters such as water heaters of less than 15 litres that were previously exempt?
Yes, the provision applies to all hot water systems. However, to reflect the lower risk associated with such a system, the work is not notifiable to the building control body nor is there a requirement for a certificate to be produced that states the work complies with the Building Regulations (unless the associated electrical work is notifiable for the purposes of Part P).
''

Ariston say that for 15l and under there is no need for G3 certification. Simple folk such as myself might read this and think any old plumber can install up to 15l provided they have the electrical competency or get a sparky to do the electrical side.
So - Ariston are neglecting to inform that a G3 registered engineer is needed to install the 15l heater, isn't that misleading by omission?they have c
Help me out here.

''

So - Ariston are neglecting to inform that a G3 registered engineer is needed to install the 15l heater, isn't that misleading by omission?
They have changed the regs and looks like you need to be g3 but don’t have to register with building control

2012 I believe it changed

Reply to Advise On Hot Water Supply To A Tennis Pavilion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
J
I own a top floor flat in a 4 storey block, i bought it 3 months ago (meaning that this is an issue i will have to personally deal with, no landlord). at first i had no issues, but recently, we have no warm/hot water in our kitchen or bath taps. the bathroom sink hot tap gets warm, and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock