Search the forum,

Discuss Advise oil spill from tank.. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

gingalig

Gas Engineer
Thank you for any advise, I was called to attend for a tank inspection following a request to the customer from the environment agency who have found traces of heating oil in a local drain off ditch. (The customer is elderly and has recently lost her husband. ) I found it was single skin plastic seeping from the base with no access to stop or stem it. The base which is pavers, is below ground level by about 75mm. I have left a warning notice and report classified as IR. The customer called friend who came over and has a local farmer contact that has a fuel tanker and fuel pump that is going to pump out asap, they are going to let me know exactly when, the leak is a very slow seep but there is no way to stop it . Should I now be reporting this to the environment agency.

Attachments

• 20191123_112329.jpg
    20191123_112329.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191123_112922.jpg
    20191123_112922.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
i would let them know and that your replacing the tank and do they need to do anything before hand

i would let them know and that your replacing the tank and do they need to do anything before hand
Remember this tank MUST be bunded now. Others will explain but basically
an oil tight wall must be constructed on a base that will contain any future leak
...I would help and have a look at the insurance policy assuming they own the
place....they might even get the value of the lost fuel, as well...I am happy to assist
centralheatking

Thanks for the responses, the old tank has now been pumped out, the environment agency had asked for a tank report which is being forwarded to them. I'll give them a ring Monday.
[automerge]1574583666[/automerge]
Remember this tank MUST be bunded now. Others will explain but basically
an oil tight wall must be constructed on a base that will contain any future leak
...I would help and have a look at the insurance policy assuming they own the
place....they might even get the value of the lost fuel, as well...I am happy to assist
centralheatking
Just quoted for a new plastic bunded tank. And a new base with the 300mm around tank, relocating to somewhere with the correct seperation distances, I think unfortunately that with traces In the water course, the environment agency are going to want rectification and disposal of contaminants, I'll ask her to check her insurance.

Last edited:

Reply to Advise oil spill from tank.. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
S
Worcester Danesmoor 20/25, about 18 years old. B11 burner. We came home a few days ago to find our boiler in lockout, and not wanting to restart, instead simply doing a pitiful whine. We called an engineer out yesterday who, after a quick diagnosis, worked out that the capacitor had gone. We...
Replies
Views
I could really do with some advice. Bit of back history, I have a trianco thorncliffe solid fuel room heater it has a back boiler, my dad put the system in just over 30 years ago, everything was bought from the then local fire shop, installed with lots of advice from them, the system has worked...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock