Search the forum,

Discuss Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianL

Please be aware that there are lots of privetly owned plumbing training providers out there, only interested in your money.

Some claim to be City & Guilds courses but on further investigation only the training centre is C&G approved not the course, so ask before you pay if thats what your after.

One trainig provider not naming names will take the best part of £5000 for a level 2 6129 basic plumbing course with very limited theory classes then your exams are all computer generated pass mark 80% if you get 79% that equals £25 resit as many resits as it takes each one £25 untill you pass.

It can all add up to a hefty sum of money if your not carefull and you've not done some investigation first.

Please make sure you know what you want out of the course then choose the right one for you. Here is a list of some courses run and what they will give you.

City & Guilds 6129 Basis Plumbing Skills: 6 months - 2 years depending on training provider. £0 - £5000 approx again depending on training provider, training centre/college basesd work no site or work placement.
This course will give you the skills and knowlege to plumd in a domestic environment but with no on site skills only training center assessed practical tasks.

City & Guilds 6022-02: 1-3 weeks, £500-£1000 approx, practical and therory based copper tube installation, suitable for DIY.

City & Guilds 6032: 1-3 weeks, £600-£1200 approx practical and theory based, Sanitary Domestic Installation bathroom suites etc again suitable for DIY.

There are more but these a quite popular just be carefull they are after your money first and fore most, ask questions and make sure you know the price and any hidden costs.

Be careful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish i read your post a month ago i am now studying for my NVQ 2, (6129), AND PART P WITH O.L.C.I CONSTUCTION IN MANCHESTER WHO ARE RECOMMENDED BY INDEPENDANT CAREERS ADVISORS AND YES AT THE COST OF THE BEST PART OF £5,000. ITS NOT THE COURSE THAT HAS ME WORRIED BUT THE BIG DARK SHADOW THAT LOOMS OVER THE PEOPLE TAKING THESE COURSE AS I HAVE READ A NUMBER OF COMMENTS FROM PLUMBERS AND PLUMBING COMPANYS THAT THEY WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM. YOU GET A COOLING OFF PERIOD AFTER SIGHING UP BUT THAT HAS LONG GONE NOW. COULD YOU GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NOW I STILL WANT TO QUALIFY AND ONE DAY FORFILL MY DREAMS OF WORKING FOR MYSELF IN THE TRADE I HAVE TRIED ALL I KNOW TO SECURE A LABOURERS JOB BUT HAD NO SUCCEES...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I do feel for you I know so lots of people that have been duped into signing up for these courses on false pretences and full of promise. The only thing you can do now is finish the 6129 and try get some on-site work with a friend or a company that will take you on even if its only work experience to complete the City & Guilds 6089 approx (3-6 months to complete depending on the type of work)) work based NVQ part of the qualification. The 6129 on its own is a good course but students are finding it hard to gain employment off the back of it, colleges are firing them out at an alarming rate, last place I worked were completing almost 80 per year with a very low percentage gaining full time employment within the industry.

So the short answer is complete the 6089 work based NVQ and you will be a lot more viable to an employer.

Good Luck :)

what is the 6089 this is the first i have heard and what would be the added benefits of doing it????

what is the 6089 this is the first i have heard and what would be the added benefits of doing it????

nvq 2 it will make you a plumber. and its work based so you need to be working as a plumber or have 5 yrs experience and checkable records

you can achieve your nvq 2 6089, by doing jobs for freinds and famile by taking pictures of evidence, (before and after). this proves that it is your own work. when you have built a portfolio of your jobs, you can then you set up for an inspector to visit you on say, a bathroom re-fit for your mum. where he will assess your skills. this costs about £150/200.

Its not quite that easy but you have the general idea. Make sure you get the jobs signed off by a supervisor. If you don't the portfolio will be worthless. Anyone could make up a portfolio.

Brian

I did my 6129 in 8 weeks at OLCI in Manchester and it was definitely worth it – I didn’t really have much experience before and it was the quickest way to get the skills I needed. You will need the NVQ 2, which I also did that with them, after that though - it gives you a far better chance of getting a job. Do the 6129, then move on to the 6089 and as Brian L says, you’ll be much more likely to get a job.

Mike, you mention completing the nvq level 2 with OLCI. I completed the 6129. How did you go about this. I was under the illusion that you had to be working in the industry 5months, and have to have to have work signed off by an external veryfier

hi i want to do this course with access 2 trade careers for plumbing and gas.

these are the qualifications they provide am i wasting my time and do i need to be working with a plumber to do these? or will i be employable straight away after i have qualified?

OCN 116786 Level 2 Accredited Domestic Plumbing Installation Programme
BPEC Water (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999
City & Guilds 6128-01 Level 2 Technical Certificate in Heating and Ventilation
BPEC Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems
BPEC Domestic Gas Foundation Certificate

please get back with answer asap as i have the interview on wednesday

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock