Search the forum,

Discuss Advice wanted on outdoor thermostat idea? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, my current setup is as follows (I am no expert and have worked this system out myself)

Ideal Logic combi+ 24 boiler

TRVs on rads in all rooms apart from towel radiator in main bathroom

Weather compensation sensor linked to boiler

Pretty well insulated house with little draughts and good double glazing.

———

I currently run this system from about October onwards through the winter without a thermostat and the house is always a comfortable temperature throughout the winter. The boiler is always on the lowest possible heat slope setting.

My concern is the amount of gas that I’m using on days where the weather is a bit warmer and the house warms by solar heating. Although no rads are on the towel rad and loop that supplies the rads is always running.

Do you think it would be beneficial to put a standard thermostat in a weatherproof box outside set to a cold weather temperature so if the outside temperature goes above a certain point the heating system turns off completely thus saving gas?

Thanks for your advice.

Mike.

If it’s weather comp it shouldn’t be on when it’s warm outside / very little

Is the curve set correctly?

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

The boiler says heat slope 1.0 and the dial is turned as far down as it will go. It’s about 12 degrees c outside now. The burner goes off regularly before it fires up again for a short while. All rads in the house are cold atm apart from the towel rad which is on but not hot. Not sure how much gas it uses in this state but wondering with ever increasing gas prices whether I’m wasting money/environmental impact. I would not usually have the heating on today but can’t be switching it on/off constantly as the boiler is in the loft hence the outdoor thermostat idea.

You have a timer just leave it in the off ?

Do you not have an internal room thermostat connected to the boiler ?

Are you running the system from the outdoor weather compensator ?
Hi I tried a nest thermostat but found that the coolest room was one of the bedrooms. Putting the thermostat in there didn’t really work too well at keeping the house comfortable all round. I have found that using a weather compensation sensor on the outside of the house is much more effective and the only time I have a concern is with the gas usage on slightly warmer autumn days when the boiler could possibly not be running. Are there issues with trying what I suggested with the outside thermostat?

Are there issues with trying what I suggested with the outside thermostat?
There's often a significant tlme lag of around 24 hours between the external temperature and the temperature inside a house. Internal thermostats are not designed for external use, even if they are inside a 'weather proof' box.

Reply to Advice wanted on outdoor thermostat idea? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock