Search the forum,

Discuss Advice session at college in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

celticbhoy

Hey all, i have an advice session at college for a plumbing course soon.
Would just like to know if anyone else has had this session and if so what should i expect?
Cheers

Expect a sales pitch! Make sure you do some research and ask questions. What's the course on offer?

I've not been to anything like one of these but I'd be very wary of claims of how much you can hope or expect to earn. The construction industry is struggling at the moment with no real optimistic future on the horizon (although it will happen one day).

There are books and books of regulation and this government might address this in its bonfire of red tape but nothing has been announced so the college cannot make any claims about this. If it does, then start to wonder how much truth is being told about the rest of the session.

In summary, go with open eyes and open ears.

This is just my perspective though!

You need to be clear what the course(s) that are on offer are and what qualification you will get from them. Then you also need to understand what else you will need to do - i.e. if they are offerng a C&G6129 technical cert then you will also need to complete a work based NVQ to become a level 2 qualified plumber - some colleges don't mention this and lead you to believe that the technical cert is all you need.

Cheers for the replies :cool:
The course is called NPA In Construction- Plumbing.
They say that if your going on to looking at getting and apprenticeship, then this course is ideal.
I have been looking for an apprenticeship for the last month and a bit but not had any luck. So looks like this course will have to do.
Any of you know if its a good course and if it will indeed help in securing an apprenticeship after the course has been completed?

I can more or less bet my last penny on this course NOT securing an apprenticeship.

How are they going to have any more success than you? A future employer is going to look more favourably on someone who is actively looking to help themselves, rather than an institution phoning up to say "We have a number of well suited apprentices, blah, blah, blah."

You can pay your money and go on the course. You finish the course. Then what? They won't have a job for you. You've just done their job by paying them! They'll be more interested in the next customer.

BUT - if you can find an employer who'll take you on and you suggest you'll pay your basic training costs (e.g. this course) that could be the way in. There are loads of these courses around the country and you can sign up quickly and easily. Getting the job is the hard part.

Self employed? That's difficult too (in my experience!)

3 years ago most of what I've said didn't apply - but the recession has hit all sorts of people and the construction industry is one of the more battle torn areas.

I can more or less bet my last penny on this course NOT securing an apprenticeship.
i agree 100% we will not guarantee an apprenticeship

How are they going to have any more success than you? A future employer is going to look more favourably on someone who is actively looking to help themselves, rather than an institution phoning up to say "We have a number of well suited apprentices, blah, blah, blah."
i wont comment on other colleges but i work in SLC in East Kilbride and our pre-apprentice course has been very successful and placed over 20 trainees with employers last term on a full time apprenticeship, the relationship between the college and employers is very good, we start the trainee in their chosen field, they get a feel for it and some hands on after 4 weeks there is a review to see if they really do want to be a plumber/joiner/painter/builder, some teenagers fancy a trade but when they actually start it isnt what they think and they chuck it (ring any bells with anyone?) an employer is delighted that we have 8-12 weeks to train someone to get out of bed in the morning, dont poke him with the sharp end of that screwdriver, yes that blowlamp is burnie, we teach basic H&S tool recognition, basic pipebending, basic pipe fabrication some sanitary ware fitting, so the trainee doessnt go straight in at work knowing nothing, you say an employer looks favourably on someone who helps themselves, surely they are helping themselves by joining a course (they dont pay for it and get bus fare type expenses, so they are showing commitment, they also get IT classes to do CV's etc, they do citizeonship work which involves some charity work, awareness of others and not always about me, me, me. we have interviewed them and are experienced enough to know after 6 weeks who will make it, we set up interviews in the college for employers to meet a few potential apprentices, the employer gets to see their record of work, attendance and the lecturer gives an opinion on what we think, so all in all i dont think it is all blah blah blah from us we are providing an excellant well used service

You can pay your money and go on the course. You finish the course. Then what? They won't have a job for you. You've just done their job by paying them! They'll be more interested in the next customer.
they dont pay it is a funded course

BUT - if you can find an employer who'll take you on and you suggest you'll pay your basic training costs (e.g. this course) that could be the way in. There are loads of these courses around the country and you can sign up quickly and easily. Getting the job is the hard part.
we also work with SNIPEF to ensure the employer gets any/all funding available, which can be £4k per year

Self employed? That's difficult too (in my experience!)
no comment on this as it will depend how the candidate gets on, and who they are

3 years ago most of what I've said didn't apply - but the recession has hit all sorts of people and the construction industry is one of the more battle torn areas.
i agree that construction is tight and it will be a wee while before the big ship turns, but even after completion ofa course which doesnt lead to a full time apprenticeship it must help to have learned some things, and you can still get into an apprenticeship in a few months if an opportunity comes up

Cheers for the replies :cool:
The course is called NPA In Construction- Plumbing.
They say that if your going on to looking at getting and apprenticeship, then this course is ideal.
I have been looking for an apprenticeship for the last month and a bit but not had any luck. So looks like this course will have to do.
Any of you know if its a good course and if it will indeed help in securing an apprenticeship after the course has been completed?

c'mon with a username like that you must be in the West of Scotland somewhere, where is the course? I will be watching out for you!!
PS you are not allowed to wear (green :p) football colours in the college

Last edited by a moderator:
Been back to college today...chatting to a lot of guys during the tea break, all with big dreams of striking it rich as a plumber, all from jobs in IT etc. All spendng a fortune chasing something which in my opinion doesn't exist. It's sad really. Yes there is a living to be made, but these guys spending £15K (not to mention the time off and the time you'll need to work for pennys after) are deluded.

I wish everyone good luck in our industry (I love it) but not many people make the money the papers lead you to believe.

Kirkgas - are we talking about different types of courses here?

Me thinks I'm referring to fast track courses and you're talking about much more formal apprenticeship training courses.

Kirkgas - are we talking about different types of courses here?

Me thinks I'm referring to fast track courses and you're talking about much more formal apprenticeship training courses.

yes we probably are, but the one i am on about is a short pre-apprentice course not a fast buck one, (and not to be confused with the 26 week course we run which is super duper) the way the wee man (can't bring myself to spell boy with an "h" in it:p) described it i thought it was a pre app course, but you and i are now belting along having another discussion without knowing the actual facts (nothing chages does it haha) he will be cacking himself as i am slagging his username in case he ends up in our college, so for the record it is only west of scotland banter and never to be taken too seriously, so come on sellik give us more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice session at college in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock