Search the forum,

Discuss Advice - remove water tanks in loft, replace showers and boiler? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Current setup:
Cold water tank, and header tank in loft.
Hot water tank in airing cupboard at top of stairs.
Power shower (mira event xs) in main bathroom, and same in en-suite.
20 year old Baxi boiler, still going strong.

Background:
Need to free up as much space in loft for conversion. Enough room for two bedrooms but would like extra space on landing for a desk. Removing water tanks will allow this.

Thoughts (I am in no way a plumber or electrical trained - I work in IT):
Replacing current boiler with a combi boiler will remove the need for tanks in loft and the hot water tank?
However my understanding this means replacing both of the showers as they have built in pumps?

Just looking for some general opinions on what would be the most cost effective way to go.
Obviously don't want to create tons of extra costs by needing major bathroom work, retiling etc.
Any alternatives to the above?
Would the Mira's be able to be straight swapped for electric showers?
If the cold water tank currently supplies toilets, hot water tank, and upstairs taps, is there a massive load of plumbing required to supply these from elsewhere?
Many thanks in advance.

Combis arnt recommended for more than one shower as they can’t cope with multi demands at once

Best to have an unvented you can get horizontal cylinders so they can be in the eves etc

Your creating more living space this no doubt will require a further bathroom or ensuite ? , it's time for a full upgrade combi boilers are not really suitable for more than one bathroom, I would be advising the removal of everything and replacing with a new boiler and unvented cylinder , this will mean changing the showers aswell in my opinion it's not gonna be cheap either and with all the build costs for the loft beware as costs can run away and eat into your planned budget, regards kop

Reply to Advice - remove water tanks in loft, replace showers and boiler? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock