Search the forum,

Discuss advice re: mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maarksparky

Hi folks,

Newbie on the forum so please help..

I have a two bedroom flat with an Electric Immersion Boiler/Water heater which is only used for hot water. No Central heating etc..

I have replaced a mixer tap in the bathroom since, previously I had two separate taps hot and cold.

After I replaced the taps to mixer, there is no hot water coming through the hot side. I feel as though the cold water is going into the hot water pipes through the mixer as Immersion boiler doesnt have a good pressure...

I have tried putting a non return valve on both the cold and hot pipes to the sink (which reduced the pressure on both sides) but still the problem exists..

please advice guys, would really appreciate your help..

Hi there mark. Do you live in a block of flats or do you have your own personal loft with a cold water tank in it.??
Also would you know if your water system in your houshold (eccept for the kitchen) is mains fed??
Is there sufficient, satisfactory (a good flow of cold water) running from the bathroom taps??
Could be a few things like the type of mixer tap you have selected,!! There are taps which mix in the body (good steady flow rate) and one which deliver the water straight from the spout (restricted)
Need to find how your cold water system is fed to the bathroom.
You have a direct hot water system and the cold water tank (if your own fingers crossed ) be sited in your (own) loft..
"Dont forget" to bring a good inspection lamp, there may be two tanks in there???
Also fitting a non return valve would definateley restrict the water flow..
Sounds like your cold water is fed to bathroom via tank in loft and you have TWO tanks and the cold tank is restricting the flow of the hot because its sited much higher up than the tank used to replenish the hot cylinder..
But you MUST remove non retiurn valves???? Let me know good luck .. THE INSPECTION LAMP

Hi there mark. Do you live in a block of flats or do you have your own personal loft with a cold water tank in it.??
Also would you know if your water system in your houshold (eccept for the kitchen) is mains fed??
Is there sufficient, satisfactory (a good flow of cold water) running from the bathroom taps??
Could be a few things like the type of mixer tap you have selected,!! There are taps which mix in the body (good steady flow rate) and one which deliver the water straight from the spout (restricted)
Need to find how your cold water system is fed to the bathroom.
You have a direct hot water system and the cold water tank (if your own fingers crossed ) be sited in your (own) loft..
"Dont forget" to bring a good inspection lamp, there may be two tanks in there???
Also fitting a non return valve would definateley restrict the water flow..
Sounds like your cold water is fed to bathroom via tank in loft and you have TWO tanks and the cold tank is restricting the flow of the hot because its sited much higher up than the tank used to replenish the hot cylinder..
But you MUST remove non retiurn valves???? Let me know good luck .. THE INSPECTION LAMP

Thanks for the prompt reply mate...

I live in a block of flats... the cold water comes from the mains from the street (no tank) however the hot water is coming of a tank from the loft into the immersion cylinder tank into the bottom and outlet from the top.

The hot water and pressure is fine in the kitchen, and the bath but the sink is not.. reason I put non return valve was to stop cold water going into the hot water circuit..

please advise..

PS. I have also noticed that the gate valve at the bottom of the immersion cylinder (inlet) is dripping, tried tightening it but its still the same, think its knackerred any tip on how to fix would be great.. feel its a pain caz I have put a stop valve on the cold mains coming from the street so can carry out most work no bother but the hot circuit, water coming from the loft does not have a stop valve which is pain.. can the gate valve be repaired without draining the immersion cylinder tank?

Looks like you fitted a mixer tap for high pressure systems, and the hot is a low pressure one.

You also risk contamination of the water supply by fitting these taps.

Looks like you fitted a mixer tap for high pressure systems, and the hot is a low pressure one.

You also risk contamination of the water supply by fitting these taps.

argh... read the box and it says its unsuitable for low pressure systems... :( now what ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Mark you got a (cold water tank) in the loft that feeds the hot cylinder YES!, now I'd do one thing at a time here. Hold the Ball valve up in the tank in thre loft (so you can NOW drain the hot water system..open all hot water outlets first!!) to change seized or leaky gate valve ok!!
I'll be back..

You need a Dual Flow Monobloc basin Mixer to allow unequal pressures.

10020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the the trick,,,,the dual flo mixer taps !!!these should eeeez the flow and allow the hot and cold to run sufficientely, but just have a look at the tank in loft to see if there is just one feed pipe coming from the tank to hot cylinder???
And if you want to change the gate valve ok.
FIRST!! Turn "OFF" the Immersion heater element in cylinder
Tie the ball valve in the tank in loft so it stops water entering the tank from the mains.
Turn on all HOT OUTLETS, and you should be able to remove/replace faulty gate.
And GOODLUCK..you can now feed me with info in part 'P' after all this LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice re: mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock