Search the forum,

Discuss advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrmacca

hi all ,
new to forum and need a bit of advice , had a new flavel misermatic fire installed yesterday , by a reg gas fitter , he said we needed to take the pepper pot off the chimney stack as it should not be on there , but this has been there for over 20 odd years and the stack has always been used for a gas fire , also while hoovering by the fire it went out ,can someone explain this as i dont want the fire going out everytime we hoover .
all advice much appreciated
dave

Can you be more specific on the fire model? Is that the one with the radiants?
What fire was fitted previous? (Make & model)
If the chimney terminal is a pepper pot(looks like an upturned elephants foot) then this is indeed unsuitable for a gas fire. It is too restrictive.

hi graham ,
the new one fitted is a flavel misermatic with 4 radiants , the old one was a valor , dont know model but it had 3 radiants , the pepper pot has been on for donkeys and no one has said anything before , it was only when we got the new fire fitted yesterday that we got told about the pepper pot , any idea why the fire goes out when we hoover by it ?
cheers
dave

a pepperpot is for ventilation of a unused chimney,not allowed for a terminal of a gas fire,does,nt matter if been in donkey years its not allowed.

a pepperpot is for ventilation of a unused chimney,not allowed for a terminal of a gas fire,does,nt matter if been in donkey years its not allowed.

didnt say it mattered it had been in for years , wanted advice about it and now i have it , many thanks , but im a bit puzzled why this hasnt been mentioned over the years , but what about the fire going out when hoovering by it , will get the peper pot removed a.s.a.p

the only thing it can be when hoovering,is because of the pepperpot restricting the pull of the chimney,ie the fumes not going up chimney nice and easy the suction of the hoover is stronger,so pulling the pilot away from fsd,
was he a gas safe reg fitter,because he should,nt have left fire connected with pepperpot on

yes he was gas reg fitter and he did say he wouldnt leave it on but i did promise him i would get the pot removed a.s.a.p and hopefully it will be done this weekend

im a bit puzzled why this hasnt been mentioned over the years

And i'm a bit puzzled as to why he even fitted it and moreso why he left it on. Your life, his livelyhood:confused:.

Don't use it and get a GC1 fitted asap.

I assumed the pepper pot was removed. Forgetting whatever happened upto now, a new fire should not have been fitted until this had been removed. Did this so called engineer do the relevant tests on flue? As w...... said above if hoovering is putting fire out it may be a result of the termination restricting the flue pull so the installation may be dangerous and the engineer incompetent.

A gas fitter shouldnt take the customers i.e you, word for it that you would get it removed, if he had done the relevant checks on flue pulls, spillage etc he wouldnt have left the appliance fitted until the 'pepperpot, was removed!

yes he was gas reg fitter and he did say he wouldnt leave it on but i did promise him i would get the pot removed a.s.a.p and hopefully it will be done this weekend
"well your honour, i did tell the customer it needed to come off and they promised they would do it next week, i cant believe they lied to me, can the court be adjurned tomorrow as i would like to pay my respects at the funerals?"
what did the guy from Dads Army say "we're doomed"

yes he was gas reg fitter and he did say he wouldnt leave it on but i did promise him i would get the pot removed a.s.a.p and hopefully it will be done this weekend[/QUOTE]

if you are not dead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Straight to the point kirky eh!
Some strong words, but unfortunately very true in some cases.

Insert Pepperpot, is a means for ventilating a dissused chimney; so quite rightly the gas fitter told you so. Therefore installation of fire does not go a head. the new gas fire is left disconnected (capped off) from the gas supply; until necessary work is completed to enable the gas fire to be connected and tested. I take it that this is the situations? if not, report the installer to Gas Safe Register.

:(2+2 =:(

just hope there isnt an extractor or other ventilation in the adjoining rooms....

i agree the appliance should be capped until compliance reg pot.

hi all ,
called mother in-law last night and told her not to use fire untill i can get someone to remove pepper pot , will be done a.s.a.p

reg 26/9 **** ,flue, air, gas ,safety does,nt get connected unless all of them are right

**** ,like it,usaully lose mine in the van ,
like that abbrevaition,will be saying that to my young apprentince on monday,when he,s spent an hour or so,looking in van
i will explain to him,i think this will sink in ,with him

Glad mum inlaw isn't going to use fire. But why did the fitter leave it connected? I'm shocked. or am i naive. Outrageous behaviour.

cos people wana look nice and helpful ,instead of the pure facts of what can happen reg man

you did say in your post he was going to leave it disconnected,
"but you promised him you would get in changed"
not defending the fitter,he should of capped it off,but did you give him a hard time,were you aggressive to him.been on 20 yrs etc,etc,
that might explain why he left it on.so i cant see how your shocked or naive.you should of took his advise and let him cap it off,until pot had been changed.
bottom line is he should not have left it connected end of

just read this thread unbelievable that its been left working with a pepper pot why did the fitter proceed with the installation in the first place?

you did say in your post he was going to leave it disconnected,
"but you promised him you would get in changed"
not defending the fitter,he should of capped it off,but did you give him a hard time,were you aggressive to him.been on 20 yrs etc,etc,
that might explain why he left it on.so i cant see how your shocked or naive.you should of took his advise and let him cap it off,until pot had been changed.
bottom line is he should not have left it connected end of

One of the many reasons I dont like doing landlord certs is that I will find somthing like a big gas fire with no ventilation, low gas working pressure etc then have to explain to a customer why I cant sighn it off and what work needs doing to rectify the problem, "but its beeen like that for 20years?", "the last few engineers have never mentioned that!", etc etc etc..... .People dont like to hear that they will have to put thier hands in thier pockets and think that Iam trying to pull the wool over thieir eyes.
Some people are happy that your doing a good job and safe gaurding thier lifes and property, I like working for people like this.

If the customer were to have CO poisoning due to the capped off flue, then he could be on a charge, at worst manslaughter. This is the worst report of neglectful gas fitting I have seen in my short time on this forum. This gas fitter needs to be reported to The Health & safety Executive and Gas Safe Register. Can you promises me this will be done. It's shocking. Please send me PM if you wish, I have contacts that can make this happen.

totally agree BCG , i find exactly the same problems as you in particular these old terrace houses that have a typical 100 year old 9x9 flue previously used for solid fuel you find the fires spilling,flue knackered,mid feathers gone or a hole somewhere

just read this thread unbelievable that its been left working with a pepper pot why did the fitter proceed with the installation in the first place?

makes me wonder whether fitter was gsr,not spotting the p/pot

you have to wonder,then to leave it working,how does he sleep at night???

Ive been moaned at for pulling the gaffer tape off vents, cutting back bushes from flues, pulling duvets, clothes, plastic bags full of crap etc from around boilers in cuboards store rooms etc etc etc, I try and explain to people about the dangers etc, but go back the next year the bush has grown back over the flue, the tape is back over the vent and the boiler is even more hidden with flammable junk.

i always mark down findings ,same as you then if the stupid b****** kill them selves after i have unblocked their vents,only for them to re block it when i leave i have covered my a***, as you know BCG their are some great tenants sadly most are idiots in this years gas incident report(on here somewhere) somebody died blocking the air intake on a mexico drying cloths FFS

Totaly agree, If someone has blocked a vent, or done some other msidemeanour, record it on your CP12, Job sheet, service log. Its you get out of jail free card.

hence why ive been going on about the flueless fires at the end of the day its only the same thing ,and people blocking there vents when ye do the cpa 1 and see what can happen with a little amount of manoxide its scary we had a test with a fitting acting like a spud falling on the burner in a an oven the reading went from 0.0002 to 0.0083 in about 3 minutes which would kill you in 15 mins

Where did you get that info from? Sounds like Ratio readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock