Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Please - Viewed a property and it has an OLD Mexico boiler? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I have just viewed a property that needs upgrading (very clean but dated/old lady passed 😢) and it was listed as 'gas central heating' and it has an old 'Ideal Mexico' boiler fitted in the kitchen which is vented out of the side wall.

All rads are also old type/no fins and feed to them is 15mm, there was also a timer connected and it was powered up and had a digital display, think it was boss or honeywell?

I was thinking there would of been a HW cylinder of sorts and a cold water tank etc? But i could not find one anywhere (did not check attic space but no way could u fit a cylinder there).

What sort of system is this, i have taken pics and it seems as if there are only three 22mm pipes going to it (gas/flow/return).

What do i need to look out for, i was told it is working fine but VERY dubious....Does it feed the HW but pipes are hidden?

I just want it to be SAFE, do i just get it replaced (don't want it in kitchen in necessary) or would a service/safety check do for now?).

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Ideal Mexico 1.JPG
    Ideal Mexico 1.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Ideal Mexico 2.JPG
    Ideal Mexico 2.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 32
Any advice much appreciated.
Just assume you will have to get it replaced and adjust your offer / refurbishment budget accordingly.

If you are buying from the estate of a deceased person you should know that there is pressure on executors to get the sale done because keeping a property empty is costly. Also keep in mind that the sale won't be able to proceed until they have obtained a grant of probate, which can take quite a while even in 'normal' times.

As above if you are interested factor in cost of full upgrade it will be a conventional system with cylinder and feed tanks so you could go down the route of getting quotes or just make and offer on full upgrade. The boiler is open flued and will be vented up the chimney using a flue liner.

The boiler vent turns right and comes out the kitchen wall, i'm just wondering what sort of system it is tbh?

The main stack is capped i think from viewing, plus fireplaces have been bricked up and there was a small electric fire in place instead.

I'm not concerned about the sale side, that is all in order via Estate Agents, i'm just confused on the system as there is no cylinder etc and i can only see 2 outputs which i presume is for heating only?

I'm looking at the safety and efficiency side tbh.

Cheers guys.

When was the property built is it small or large?
Have you found the heating pump?
Is there a gas multipoint heater for the hot water somewhere?

Most likely place for the cylinder is in a cupboard or wardrobe upstairs, possibly smaller than you might expect to see.

It’s a gravity system probably y plan with a copper cylinder and cold water tanks

Thanks, when i viewed it i checked everywhere BUT one cupboard was screwed closed!

I have spoke and relayed my post to local registered engineers and the replay was mainly it's 30 years old and the best option is to find the cylinder and fit a new MAIN boiler there?

Plus they stated they are 'rock solid' boilers? I just want it safe and efficient tbh...

How should i progress this?

If I was concerned about anything in a transaction costing me many tens of thousands of pounds I might ask a local plumber to check it out and give me a report. This would cost a hundred - ish pounds. I have a couple of developers who I do this for occasionally. I think they mostly use it to drive the purchase price down a grand or 2.

Bilabonic.

I have just come across your post. I have a Ideal Mexico super CF 475 and am in need of a spare part. Unfortunately the part I need is now obsolete. If you have replaced and still have the old boiler could we come to some arrangement.

Thank you.

Bilabonic.

I have just come across your post. I have a Ideal Mexico super CF 475 and am in need of a spare part. Unfortunately the part I need is now obsolete. If you have replaced and still have the old boiler could we come to some arrangement.

Thank you.

Hi

It has since been replaced with a Baxi 30Kw (10 year warranty) sorry.

Bilabonic.

Thank you.
What’s the part

Reply to Advice Please - Viewed a property and it has an OLD Mexico boiler? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock