Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please. Overpowering cigarette smell coming from pipes underneath kitchen sink. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Angie.d

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice please. I have just moved into a property that has an overpowering smell of cigarettes coming from underneath the kitchen sink. It is really strong and making me fill unwell. There was a leak previously apparently and the neighbour below is a heavy smoker, I think there may be damage to their ceiling but she wasn’t helpful when I enquired. Is there anything that can be done? It’s really awful especially in the evening and first thing in the morning. Is it even possible for smoke to come up through pipes? Could a plumber fix this issue? The smell seems to be coming directly from the plastic pipes. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very possible.
I worked in a completely new renonavated terrace house and the cigarette smoke could be strongly smelt in the bathroom. (Neighbour was heavy smoker). I think smell could only be coming from through wall between ceiling joists.
You might be getting smoke from gaps around pipes. I wouldn’t accept that happening as it is a health hazard.
Ask local council advice and Citizen Advice if you can’t resolve this

Thank you for your reply. I did call local council and their reply was they can’t ask people to stop smoking! It does seem like The smell is coming directly from the plastic pipes. I would like to try and stop the smell whilst I pursue other avenues. I’ve bought an air purifier, white vinegar for the odour but it’s not working. And yes I agree really is a health hazard

Hi, it’s rented. I’ve signed a 1 year lease. The owner lives abroad and the agent is saying he couldn’t smell anything. He came during the day and I’d had the windows open all day and it’s worse in the evening. It’s an ex council flat and the tenant below is a council tenant so I’ve contacted the local borough to find out about the damage to the ceiling but they said they won’t discuss their property.

Hi, it’s rented. I’ve signed a 1 year lease. The owner lives abroad and the agent is saying he couldn’t smell anything. He came during the day and I’d had the windows open all day and it’s worse in the evening. It’s an ex council flat and the tenant below is a council tenant so I’ve contacted the local borough to find out about the damage to the ceiling but they said they won’t discuss their property.

A plumber isn't going to be able to help and it's not your property so you won't be able to get the necessary work done without the landlord's consent anyway. Consult your Consumer Advice Bureau.

A plumber isn't going to be able to help and it's not your property so you won't be able to get the necessary work done without the landlord's consent anyway. Consult your Consumer Advice Bureau.

Chuck is correct. Sorry.

I think smell could only be coming from through wall between ceiling joists.
You might be getting smoke from gaps around pipes.
As said above the smell may not be from the pipes but from around the pipes, have a good look around for any holes and if you find any cover them with a damp tea towel to see if the smell decreases, lasty remove and clean the trap under the sink (might just get lucky here).

A longshot , I once pulled a sink trap and pipe off rammed with cigarette tab ends , hundreds of them , it smelt horrendous but didnt smell like smoke .
Maybe?

Reply to Advice please. Overpowering cigarette smell coming from pipes underneath kitchen sink. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock