Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please if possible in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Advice please, I have payed for a boiler to be fitted by a gas safe family member and he took an age to fit it, then came back a week later to fit the 28mm pipe required from the boiler to the meter, since then he has been fobbing me off about a sparky (his friend ) who needs to come and fit the thermostat before he can commission the boiler, been 2 months now since I payed him and still no sparky and still hasn’t been commissioned. He also never flushed the system when fitting the new boiler and I’m thinking my warranty is probably void :( I have 2 young baby’s and without heating , can anyone advise me what I can do about this?

It can be sorted but the guy needs to devote time to the job? If he's not willing then you need to employ another GSI who will , the boiler should have been commissioned after the install and registered with Gas safe ? He has 30 days to do this , often a plug with a 3 amp fuse is a stop gap till wired correctly all systems need through cleaning and flushing it is part of the manufacturers warranty and needs doing . Kop

It can be sorted but the guy needs to devote time to the job? If he's not willing then you need to employ another GSI who will , the boiler should have been commissioned after the install and registered with Gas safe ? He has 30 days to do this , often a plug with a 3 amp fuse is a stop gap till wired correctly all systems need through cleaning and flushing it is part of the manufacturers warranty and needs doing . Kop
Thank you , it hasn’t been commissioned or registered and he just keep making excuses, we have hot water but hasn’t explained anything about the heating etc, took him 2 weeks after fitting to even come back and install 28mm pipe, he hasn’t flushed anything and has spent a total of 4 hrs here,

Not wanting to chuck flies in the ointment but here's a swarm,

Is the family member Gassafe registered for Domestic including boilers?
Are they G-S registered in their own name, or are they employed and only registered to carry out their employers work?
Or does their employer allow the family member to carry out their own work in his / her name and register boilers through his / her (the employer) account?

Best way to deal with difficult family members in my experience is to talk to their mother. :)

As I have said before, you can't get blood out of a stone. My approach would be to say to him nicely that you are getting nervous because you have kids to think about can't risk being without a safe and reliable heating system once the cold weather arrives. He either needs to make time real soon to complete the job properly (including flushing commissioning and registering) or admit he's bitten off more than he can chew. In the latter case, if he's got any honour he'll refund enough of the money you've given to cover you getting someone else to sort you out and finish the job.

This may not be what happened in your case, but IME having work done on the cheap by a family member or mate who is 'in the trade' never ends well. Better to keep business and personal separate. If you want to help a family member something like "I'd like to give you a present for the kids so may I pay for the tiling?" is going to work better all round than "I'll install the bathroom for you in my spare time."

Family stuff is never easy; don't let short-term problems spoil long-term relationships.

Good luck.

Reply to Advice please if possible in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock