Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please if possible in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Advice please, I have payed for a boiler to be fitted by a gas safe family member and he took an age to fit it, then came back a week later to fit the 28mm pipe required from the boiler to the meter, since then he has been fobbing me off about a sparky (his friend ) who needs to come and fit the thermostat before he can commission the boiler, been 2 months now since I payed him and still no sparky and still hasn’t been commissioned. He also never flushed the system when fitting the new boiler and I’m thinking my warranty is probably void :( I have 2 young baby’s and without heating , can anyone advise me what I can do about this?

It can be sorted but the guy needs to devote time to the job? If he's not willing then you need to employ another GSI who will , the boiler should have been commissioned after the install and registered with Gas safe ? He has 30 days to do this , often a plug with a 3 amp fuse is a stop gap till wired correctly all systems need through cleaning and flushing it is part of the manufacturers warranty and needs doing . Kop

It can be sorted but the guy needs to devote time to the job? If he's not willing then you need to employ another GSI who will , the boiler should have been commissioned after the install and registered with Gas safe ? He has 30 days to do this , often a plug with a 3 amp fuse is a stop gap till wired correctly all systems need through cleaning and flushing it is part of the manufacturers warranty and needs doing . Kop
Thank you , it hasn’t been commissioned or registered and he just keep making excuses, we have hot water but hasn’t explained anything about the heating etc, took him 2 weeks after fitting to even come back and install 28mm pipe, he hasn’t flushed anything and has spent a total of 4 hrs here,

Not wanting to chuck flies in the ointment but here's a swarm,

Is the family member Gassafe registered for Domestic including boilers?
Are they G-S registered in their own name, or are they employed and only registered to carry out their employers work?
Or does their employer allow the family member to carry out their own work in his / her name and register boilers through his / her (the employer) account?

Best way to deal with difficult family members in my experience is to talk to their mother. :)

As I have said before, you can't get blood out of a stone. My approach would be to say to him nicely that you are getting nervous because you have kids to think about can't risk being without a safe and reliable heating system once the cold weather arrives. He either needs to make time real soon to complete the job properly (including flushing commissioning and registering) or admit he's bitten off more than he can chew. In the latter case, if he's got any honour he'll refund enough of the money you've given to cover you getting someone else to sort you out and finish the job.

This may not be what happened in your case, but IME having work done on the cheap by a family member or mate who is 'in the trade' never ends well. Better to keep business and personal separate. If you want to help a family member something like "I'd like to give you a present for the kids so may I pay for the tiling?" is going to work better all round than "I'll install the bathroom for you in my spare time."

Family stuff is never easy; don't let short-term problems spoil long-term relationships.

Good luck.

Reply to Advice please if possible in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink putting the pipe work in the wall then fitting these black shut off valves and black trap but can’t see how this is possible the way the work has been...
Replies
Views
My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job he did he overcharged me, caused a little damage in my kitchen where he was working and after many requests has not provided me with a receipt ( 7...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock