Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on work done by gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys - sorry but this is going to be a long post!

Recently had some work done in my house to move a boiler, clean cold water tank and pressurize central heating system - this was done by a gas safe registered engineer. Another plumber has come over to do other work in the house and he has mentioned that the work done is not correct - apparently the magna cleaner should be attached to the return pipe but its attached to the flow pipe and the cold water tank has not been been cleaned out - have pictures to confirm this- just wanted a second opinion before I went back to the engineer or request an inspection by Gas Safe - should the magna cleaner be attached to the return pipe as he advised? If so should I call the original plumber back (he's not cooperating much as he is not happy I gave my other jobs to another plumber) or should I let him know Im going to complain to Gas Safe? P.S he hasnt given certificate yet either but I guess legally he has 30 days to do this so I can't do anything about this until the time is up - as it was a cash job he said he can't give me reciept either although previously he confirmed in text that he could give me a receipt - any advice on how to deal with this situation?

Magna Clean should be on the return before the boiler, to collect debris etc. Not on its way out of the boiler.

Last edited:
And said Gas Safe will not be interested. Magna clean can be on the flow where return is not practical.

As my fellow GSI 's have stated this is not a gas safe issue , the Magna clean would be better fitted on the return but as as a last resort can be fitted on the flow . Kop

Hi Guys - sorry but this is going to be a long post!

Recently had some work done in my house to move a boiler, clean cold water tank and pressurize central heating system - this was done by a gas safe registered engineer. Another plumber has come over to do other work in the house and he has mentioned that the work done is not correct - apparently the magna cleaner should be attached to the return pipe but its attached to the flow pipe and the cold water tank has not been been cleaned out - have pictures to confirm this- just wanted a second opinion before I went back to the engineer or request an inspection by Gas Safe - should the magna cleaner be attached to the return pipe as he advised? If so should I call the original plumber back (he's not cooperating much as he is not happy I gave my other jobs to another plumber) or should I let him know Im going to complain to Gas Safe? P.S he hasnt given certificate yet either but I guess legally he has 30 days to do this so I can't do anything about this until the time is up - as it was a cash job he said he can't give me reciept either although previously he confirmed in text that he could give me a receipt - any advice on how to deal with this situation?
I cannot see this is a Gsr issue
the rest of your post seems to relate to a MagnaClean filter
it really does not matter where these second rate filters are fitted , flow or return they will do as they say on the box.

I presume you had a fixed price quotation before you engaged your GSR engineer so you BOTH understood your mutual
obligations to each other

centralheatking

it really does not matter where these second rate filters are fitted , flow or return they will do as they say on the box.

I presume you had a fixed price quotation before you engaged your GSR engineer so you BOTH understood your mutual

centralheatking
Second rate in your own personal opinions you mean. I think they are top draw mate and so do many others.

That isn’t a gas safe issue. Also I’m sure you can fit an Adey filter anywhere. But it is preferred on the return as that is where it will do the best job. Post the pictures that you have and I will have a look.

Hi Harvest Fields - attached pics of magna cleaner + cold water tank (which was supposed to have been cleaned)

IMG-20190513-WA0000.jpg

20190513_173656.jpg

20190513_173614.jpg

centralheatking
Hi Rob - yes we did have a fixed price for the list of work mentioned and I have the trace of conversations however putting aside the magna cleaner placement - the cold water tank has not been cleaned either and this was part of the agreed works.

If they don't fix the issue I guess trading standards is my only option- I have paid for a service that has not been done. I posted in this forum to get a second opinion of the work completed before I start questioning the plumber as I don't have knowledge in this field and the last thing I want to do is make someone upset by questioning their work.

It has the cover on now - it was removed temporarily because we had underfloor heating installed today so I took the picture whilst they were mid way through the work.

were them lads gas safe reg?

As far as I’m aware, the only requirement for a legal bit of paperwork is a cp12( landlords check)

There’s no legal requirement to issue you with a certificate.. even for a new install.
Hi Bogrodder - I calles Gas Safe customer services they said all registered engineers must issue in 30 days? They said if its being moved they must be notified so the council can be informed of the move - is that incorrect?

Not sure what cert they’re talking about but it does need to be notified

Yes they were - hopefully I dont get any further problems have enough to deal with right now!

other than what you have said did they tell you they spotted anything else / general quality of install etc?

other than what you have said did they tell you they spotted anything else / general quality of install etc?
They just mentioned to me that magna cleaner should be in the other pipe and the cold water tank has not been cleaned as agreed. The one thing they said has been done right is the pressurizing of the heating system.They did say something about the pipes used as well but didnt go into detail after that.

Reply to Advice on work done by gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock