Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on work done by gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

It needs notifying though

Hello Riley,

About 2 years after the requirement to notify the installation of Gas Boilers first became a legal requirement I moved a Boiler which had been installed and notified a year previously from a Kitchen to the back wall of a newly built extension.

Although I believed that this should definitely be notified because of certifying that it had been moved / reinstalled by a CORGI registered Gas Engineer / Installer and that all pertinent Gas Safety Regulations and Building Regulations had been adhered to there was some debate about this with a couple of friends / colleagues who were Heating Engineers / Gas Engineers so I telephoned the CORGI Technical Helpline to confirm my stance on the matter.

The CORGI Technical representative disagreed with me - He was stating that an already notified Gas Boiler that was moved but still in the same Household / Building did not need to be notified because in His opinion the notification process was to ensure that only Condensing Boilers were being installed [apart from where there were dispensations for difficult circumstances] and as the Boiler had already been notified there was no need to re-confirm that it was still installed at the same address.

I stated that this would mean that Boilers could be moved by Non CORGI Registered Operatives - there would be no record of the `Gas Appliance Works`and that the installation might not meet the appropriate Gas Safety Regulations / Building Regulations.

He stated something like - `How many Boilers get moved within the same Home ?` - `probably not enough to be concerned about`.

I was not happy with that response and I went ahead and notified the Boiler move / re-installation.

I should have phoned again and spoken to a different `CORGI Technical Advisor` to see whether that attitude / `advice` was just that of the individual that I spoke to or also that of another CORGI Technical Advisor.

At that time and probably still now with Gas Safe there was no point in trying to discuss this with the CORGI Gas Appliance Notification Telephone representatives as they were `Notification Admin Only` Employees with no Technical knowledge on Gas Boiler Installation notifications or any other Gas Safety / Gas Utilisation Technical matter.

As I mentioned this was quite a few Years ago and although I personally have only moved 5 or 6 Gas Boilers within the same premises since then they have all been notified and registered as having been moved / re-installed by a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer / Me complying with all applicable regulations.

I feel sure that We are correct that a Gas Boiler which is moved within the same Home / Building should definitely be notified for the reasons described in my second paragraph above and I hope that Gas Safe Technical would give confirmation of that.

Chris

My shorter response is that I saw a gas safe inspector recently and he said whenever moved needs notifying

Hello Riley,

About 2 years after the requirement to notify the installation of Gas Boilers first became a legal requirement I moved a Boiler which had been installed and notified a year previously from a Kitchen to the back wall of a newly built extension.

Although I believed that this should definitely be notified because of certifying that it had been moved / reinstalled by a CORGI registered Gas Engineer / Installer and that all pertinent Gas Safety Regulations and Building Regulations had been adhered to there was some debate about this with a couple of friends / colleagues who were Heating Engineers / Gas Engineers so I telephoned the CORGI Technical Helpline to confirm my stance on the matter.

The CORGI Technical representative disagreed with me - He was stating that an already notified Gas Boiler that was moved but still in the same Household / Building did not need to be notified because in His opinion the notification process was to ensure that only Condensing Boilers were being installed [apart from where there were dispensations for difficult circumstances] and as the Boiler had already been notified there was no need to re-confirm that it was still installed at the same address.

I stated that this would mean that Boilers could be moved by Non CORGI Registered Operatives - there would be no record of the `Gas Appliance Works`and that the installation might not meet the appropriate Gas Safety Regulations / Building Regulations.

He stated something like - `How many Boilers get moved within the same Home ?` - `probably not enough to be concerned about`.

I was not happy with that response and I went ahead and notified the Boiler move / re-installation.

I should have phoned again and spoken to a different `CORGI Technical Advisor` to see whether that attitude / `advice` was just that of the individual that I spoke to or also that of another CORGI Technical Advisor.

At that time and probably still now with Gas Safe there was no point in trying to discuss this with the CORGI Gas Appliance Notification Telephone representatives as they were `Notification Admin Only` Employees with no Technical knowledge on Gas Boiler Installation notifications or any other Gas Safety / Gas Utilisation Technical matter.

As I mentioned this was quite a few Years ago and although I personally have only moved 5 or 6 Gas Boilers within the same premises since then they have all been notified and registered as having been moved / re-installed by a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer / Me complying with all applicable regulations.

I feel sure that We are correct that a Gas Boiler which is moved within the same Home / Building should definitely be notified for the reasons described in my second paragraph above and I hope that Gas Safe Technical would give confirmation of that.

Chris
Thanks Chris! Will follow up with Gas Safe to check if they have been notified yet-

My shorter response is that I saw a gas safe inspector recently and he said whenever moved needs notifying

Hello again Riley,

I know that We are correct in that Boilers that are moved must be notified.

I have just remembered [checked some paperwork] that I used one of the Boilers that I moved some years ago as an example `Gas Works` for a CORGI Inspection and one more recently for a Gas Safe Inspection.

As I was writing my `Story` above I wondered how many Gas Engineers / Installers were given that wrong `information` by the CORGI Technical Advisor and never bothered to check whether it was correct and since then never notified any Boiler that they moved within the same Home / Building ?

Although it is a long time ago now it was disgraceful that the CORGI Technical Advisor alluded to - `perhaps there are not enough non -notified Boiler moves within the same premises to be concerned about` - as ONE badly installed Gas Appliance can Kill !

It has occurred to me that if some Heating Engineers / Gas Engineers asked a question of Gas Safe Technical unless it was a very contentious subject whatever answer they received would form their `future knowledge` / guidelines to be followed in the future ?

Hopefully there is no incorrect information given out by the Gas Safe Technical Helpline so no future problems can occur related to misinterpretations of the Gas Regulations / applicable Building Regulations.

Chris

The tank that you have in the picture looks like a feed and expansion tank for a vented syatem. This will not be in use anymore if you have had the heating system pressurised.

That connector shouldn’t be on the condense pipe either. It should be solvent and as Shaun said. Where the UFH people Gas Safe?
I thought I had posted this the other day but cannot see it?
Anyway, I have never heard that compression fittings are not allowed, is this definite and where does ir say so?
Some guys even say, wrongly IMO, SW should not be used as the condense can attack the glue.

I often fitted a compression near the boiler to aid disconnection in the future.

To be fair the speedfit coupling is fine and acceptable

Not that I would use one

Same as push fit in my eyes. Still has a rubber seal. Would never fit or recommend it done that one.

True but most condense in boilers are done with orings and clips / pushfit etc

CORGI out of the Equation to be fair. . .

Hello DjClubber,

You obviously don`t know that Gas Safe employed any of the CORGI Technical Advisers that wanted to continue working as Gas Register Technical Advisers.

I believe that most of them transferred to Gas Safe - no doubt influenced by the fact that the new Gas Safe offices were also in Basingstoke.

In fact they took on a lot of the CORGI Staff that wanted to stay employed by the new organisation running UK Gas Register.

The Gas Technical Advisers were no longer of any use to CORGI but were vital to Gas Safe so employing them enabled a `handover` style continuation of the Gas Technical Advice service to Gas Safe.

It would have been quite likely that the CORGI Technical Adviser that I mentioned had given me what I considered to be incorrect advice was / is employed by Gas Safe.

As CORGI is still operating as a Company they obviously kept quite a number of the Administrating staff but not Gas specific staff.

Chris

Last edited:
To echo others. Filter isn't in the ideal place, but better there than not at all. Water tank looks like the old tank feeding the heating so it is no longer in use. How does the big tank look? That's the one that he should have cleaned. It doesn't look like the neatest install ever but you might be gunning for this guy when he is in the right. I would suggest maybe paying someone an hour's labour to come out and check over the system before you take anymore action. Depending on where you are £50-£100 might be a small price to pay to give you peace of mind and potentially causing you both a headache when it could be avoided. To be fair, I'd have the hump if someone employed another gas engineer days after I'd been there, that or if be questioning where I went wrong!

Reply to Advice on work done by gas safe engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock