Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on plumbing work done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon Reid

Hello all,

I hope I've come to the right place for some guidance and advice on some plumbing work done? If not a pointer to somewhere more suitable would be a great help; otherwise please read on;

Between October 2015 and January 2016 we paid for the services of a plumber to correct a number of issues with our combi-boiler and this is still on-going.

1. We were having problems when the heating was on, the hot water wasn't working and if we turned the hot water on, the heaters would heat up. So we hired a plumber. Whilst here he replaced the actuator to the diverter valve, though while carrying out this work, he managed to fuse the programmer accidentally, which he replaced with a wall mounted one. We received an invoice for £285 for this work.
2. Soon after this work was completed, oil was not feeding into the boiler following a lock-out from low fuel. He replaced a new pump for which we were invoiced £107.98. A number of days later he had to return to repair an oil leak from the pump causing serious fumes in the kitchen area.
3. At this time he had mentioned about the water drip from the filling loop which was causing a drop in pressure and advised us to fix this to prevent any further damage to the boiler. We asked him to carry out this work, requiring the system to be drained and replace the faulty filling loop, for which we were invoiced £119.39. He advised us to keep an eye on the pressure just in case.

Over this period, the bill came to £512.37 for various repairs to our boiler system.

Since this work has been carried out however we have continued to suffer from a series of problems with the boiler, much of which was meant to have been fixed.

4. While the heating is on, no hot water is available.
5. On occasion the heaters heat up when the hot water is on.
6. The water pressure has had to be 'topped up' at least once a month (more than on any occasion prior to his work being carried out).
7. Hot water does not flow fully, requiring us to temper the hot tap to ensure enough hot water flows for long enough to have a bath or shower. We cannot turn the taps on full, which should be normal practice for this boiler.

I emailed the boiler-man with the above information, but his response was as follows (edited):

1. Heating is on but no HW available - this does appear to be a stuck diverter valve and would require replacement ( The actuator should be ok though)
2. This relates to the same problem.
3. There are a number of reasons for pressure drops in a system. Initially the water leak from the filling loop appeared to be the root cause and, following the replacement of the filling loop, the pressure did not drop whilst I was in attendance. The advice to 'Keep an eye on the pressure' was, as explained at the time, in case there were secondary issues causing the pressure drop. This would now appear to be the case.
4. Experience points to this being caused by a blocked, or partially blocked, secondary heat exchanger. This part would require replacement and, I would recommend, the installation of a system filter to reduce the possibility of this happening in the future.

I realise that this is inconvenient for you however I feel that the boiler is beginning to show signs of wear and tear to the extent that problems like this will occur regularly unless the boiler and system are maintained in good health by having both serviced annually.
As you are previous customers I can offer to do this work at a reduced rate of £100 plus the cost of any parts required.

My question is, does this sound right and fair that we should continue to pay for work, parts and callout....anything?? We've paid a lot of money for work that is still incomplete. The boiler was last serviced in January 2015 requiring only a replacement nozzel(?).

Any advice or pointers as to where to go for further guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Simon

Hi
Oil combination boilers are quite a reliable bit of kit. But when one thing goes, it generally has an impact on the next.
Hi is correct in assuming the diverter valve is sticking/passing. Maybe this should have been replaced at the same time as the motor.
The oil running out was not his fault, but the leak was. Again, he should have replaced all hoses at the same time. But he was trying to save you money.

Sometimes boilers reach a point where you have to throw some money at them. I would bet the pump and flow switch will be next!
On a side note do you have it serviced regularly. And do you live in a hard water area?

To summarise.
Get him back to replace the diverter, at the same time remove the heat exchanger and flush with water. This will check if it is blocked .

Diverters fail. Its a fact of life. But its easy enough to check wether it is the head or the valve body. Personally I dont like the fact that he didnt resolve this.

The oil pump is entirely your fault. Shouldnt run out of oil and is not related to your other problems.

Yes he was correct with regard to the pressure drop. You can only fix issues you can see.

I have never seen an oil combi where you can turn a hot top on full tilt and still get hot hot water. Unless there is a flow restrictor installed.

But however there are always two sides to any tale.

Also, what boiler is it and how old?

Many thanks for both your replies.
In answer;
Yes, we do live in a hard water area and prior to January 2015 (last service) it had been 2-3 years since the previous service.

I take full responsibility for the fuel pump after running out of oil. We've got a fairly full tank now and I'll be ordering a tank monitor to prevent a repeat.
We've never had full flow of hot water, but I was basing this on a comment by a different plumber we had in to sort out our shower. Not a problem and something we've lived with.

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch Heatslave 15/19 and we had it installed late 2005. I don't know what their lifespan is?

So is the consensus to accept his offer of £100 callout plus part to rectify any issues? I'm a bit narked at his first invoice which lists the replacement of faulty programmer unit, though doesn't make it clear that I'm paying for it, despite him knackering it in the first place.

Thanks again for your time.
Cheers

He is cheap in my books, sometimes things break as you work on them, who is to pay is debatable, but I charge customers when things fail and I am there, after all if they want it to work its got to be paid for. If you dont service it yearly, expect it to cost more when you do, as any problems are 10 times worse if left too long.

£100 callout seems a bit steep considering he never fixed the original issue. Dependent on which diverter valve is fitted this is a common fault and can be rectified in an hour. As for the pressure drop this could be a pain in the proverbial to locate. Where are you located?

My advise to anyone doubting someone they've had work for them is to either stick with them and accept what they tell you or move on to someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on plumbing work done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock