Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on plumbing qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mike Parkin

I completed a C&G 6129 technical certificate in plumbing around 5 years ago as a mature student. From searching the web i understand this qualification no longer exists and i am now pursuing a career in plumbing.

I am aware the 6129 wasn't an NVQ and so wouldn't be accepted as a qualification by an employer. Can somebody please help answer:
· What is the current entry level qualification into plumbing I.E. NVQ2
· Would I be able to fast track the class room side of the qualification based on my 6129 experience
· How quickly could a semi competent individual with experience of domestic plumbing renovations complete the required NVQ
· Would I require a CSCS card, or current equivalent in order to undertake work with an employers

Any responses are very much appreciated

Chris above will be the man , but from what I know NVQ 2 is sort of qualified within the industry .
But the full and recognised qualification is NVQ 3 .

NVQ 3 doesn’t actually have to include gas , or it didnt .

Hi Mike, I will have to check with a colleague tomorrow on a couple of bits & get back to you but can tell you these.
What is the current entry level qualification into plumbing I.E. NVQ2
To be recognised by larger employers for site work you would need to hold a Level 2 6189 NVQ as a minimum but even with most will test you out in the field to see if you can walk the walk.
· How quickly could a semi competent individual with experience of domestic plumbing renovations complete the required NVQ
Given access to the right kind of working jobs which allow you to prove competency & providing an accessor can come see you, not long at all, couple of weeks for Level 2.
· Would I require a CSCS card, or current equivalent in order to undertake work with an employers
If you are aiming to get on larger sites they would require you to have the trade one yes. The safety theory part should not be an issue for you with a bit of a bush up on the stuff you did it the safety unit on 6129.

· Would I be able to fast track the class room side of the qualification based on my 6129 experience
I will need to check there is a route if you have been working as a plumber / mate, I will get back to you.

Thank you for the swift response. Very helpful replies. I'll be approaching some potential employers soon as I'm taking voluntary severance at end of March and would love to do plumbing full time with the aim getting into gas also.

Thanks again

Reply to Advice on plumbing qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock