• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Advice on moving sink and toilet in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Serval

Reaction score
I’ll soon be refitting downstairs bathroom and want to make some changes to the layout as per this pic:
upload_2019-5-28_22-26-48.png

Move the new toilet over to the left.

Fit the new sink and under sink cabinet on the same wall in the area in blue.

The two problems I’ve got to work around are as follows:

The existing layout means the soil pipe coming up from the floor would obstruct the new sink and under sink cabinet.

Can I cut down the vertical section of the soil pipe (fitting a new boss for the sink waste) so that I can fit the sink unit above it without any obstructions?

2. I need to extend or the soil pipe to accommodate the new position of the toilet.

Can the pipe marked in red be removed and refitted with a longer length?

(I’m not sure if it’s a push fit or solvent welded?) if it is solvent welded to the T piece would I have to cut it and use a straight coupler of some sort?

upload_2019-5-28_22-32-5.png

p.s whats the name of the bit circled in green with the screw top with the sink waste boss?

thanks

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Why not put the WC under the window and the basin on the left- then it could have a mirror over it. Also it would be a lot easier for the 4” waste?

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
That was a potential option but. The toilet is one of those wall hung units that comes with the mounting frame.
The frame height even though it is supposed to be 'compact' is higher than the lowest point on the window sill so i couldn't go for that arrangement unfortunately.

Edit... I might be able to see if they make smaller frames

Last edited:

Anakin

Reaction score
There is multiple problems with what you want. The biggest one being that soil pipe is fixed going down into the floor. The pipe rising up should be the vent, but it seems you have a screw cap which isn’t correct. All toilets need a vent to work properly, ideally that risen part would go higher, not lower! It’s needs an AAV, not a screw top.

Secondly it looks really tight on space. You need to get your leg to the side of the pan right? If your thinking one of those fancy toilets in a frame, that will stick out as much as that boxing you have there. Would have to be small sink and unit, the storage space would be so minimal is it worth it?

Yes you can amend all the pipes no problem, but in practice your looking at the frame for the toilet to the wall, and the basin unit in front of that soil pipe. Also moving the radiator. I’m trying to picture what you have in mind and can’t quite see how all this will work out. Perhaps if you had a corner wall hung basin on the right, then sure problem solved. But your still going to need a vent/AAV rising up, it should in theory actually rise above the level of the cistern as a minimum. And if you did that on either corner, you definitely will not have room for one piece of furniture..

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Anakin that is not necessarily true, if there is an external vented stack this toilet will work fine changing that branch to an elbow (or a straight pipe), I guess the screwed access was put to aid rodding etc.
We really need more info on the property as a whole, with particular reference to soil/vent pipework to advise 100%.
As usual you’re better off with a site visit.
However with regards to the toilet under the window- frames come at 820mm height (for fitting in furniture) so that is no problem.
As to width, that room looks 1200 wide? In which case no problem, obviously radiator will have to move.
It looks an ideal case for wall hung wc and a vanity unit with continuous worktop over both.

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
We really need more info on the property as a whole, with particular reference to soil/vent pipework to advise 100%.

Heres a bit more info:

the room is 1280 wide

There are two other toilets in the house (upstairs) one of these is vented directly up through the loft space and out of the roof.

The other upstairs toilet goes up into the loft and terminates with one of these which I think is some sort of vent? (You guys correct me if I’m wrong)
upload_2019-5-29_14-40-52.pngupload_2019-5-29_14-42-17.png

There is a man hole/drain in the back garden about 15ft away from the downstairs toilet shown the original pics

The outside drain has a single pipe entering it which comes from the house.

All three toilets exit out of this pipe into the drain when flushed.

I’m not sure whether or not the soil pipes from each of the three toilets are connected somewhere under the property or if they meet at some sort of chamber before exiting to the outside drain.

ive been in this property and never had any issues with the downstairs toilet but based on this info are you able to tell if the downstairs toilet should also be vented?
Might as well do the job properly if need be

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
If your thinking one of those fancy toilets in a frame….

That will stick out as much as that boxing you have there

Yes I’ve got one of those wall hung units that needs the cistern to be boxed in.

However with regards to the toilet under the window- frames come at 820mm height (for fitting in furniture) so that is no problem.

As to width, that room looks 1200 wide? In which case no problem, obviously radiator will have to move.

It looks an ideal case for wall hung wc and a vanity unit with continuous worktop over both.
The room is 1280 mm wide

Now that you mention it I could build the boxing so that it spans the entire width of the room. That would mean I could mount the sink on the right hand side of the box without having to touch the vertical part of the soil pipe.

Something like this I guess…
upload_2019-5-29_14-56-22.png

Id relocate a small rad/towel rail where the old sink/mirror are and fit a small wall unit on the right hand wall either above the rad or close to the corner

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
if i decide to do something like the layout in that last photo, would i need to make/buy some sort of frame to take the weight of the sink and drawer unit?

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
No you won’t need any vent on that toilet.
No frame for basin unit ( waste of money) just put timber in appropriate places when constructing the studwork.
I’d still put wc/basin the other way around but each to his own.
Make sure you use 12mm hardibacker to construct the boxing NOT ply or plasterboard.

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
No you won’t need any vent on that toilet.
No frame for basin unit ( waste of money) just put timber in appropriate places when constructing the studwork.
I’d still put wc/basin the other way around but each to his own.
Make sure you use 12mm hardibacker to construct the boxing NOT ply or plasterboard.
Cheers Ben. If i did decide put the basin/wc the other way round ho would i remove that branch from the waste pipe coming up from the floor in order to fit one with a socket facing the other direction?

the current one looks like its solvent welded in place, if i cut it off id have no pipe left sticking out above floor level

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Ah ok didn’t notice it was solvent weld at the bottom.
Stick with your layout in that case!

You can remove the fitting but it takes ages and there is always a possibility of it going horribly wrong. Basically you cut it off flush with the socket at the base - this leaves you with the socket and a circle of the branch stuck inside this socket.
Then make a series of vertical cuts from the inside, just cutting the branch NOT the socket. Then carefully remove the inner tube with small sharp chisel. As I say not for the faint hearted and only to be done if no alternative. Having said that I’ve done it successfully on several occasions - you can then re-glue the socket.

OP
S

Serval

Reaction score
Cheers ben.. I think ill leave it as is on this occasion but its good to know how to tackle if need be in the future.

Thanks for the detailed explanation

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom