Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on Italian Qualifications in the UK in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Marvel

Hi, my nephew (18 yrs) has completed an apprenticeship as a plumber/gas engineer in Italy and is fully qualified with a couple of years experience assisting an established plumber/engineer as part of his course. He would like to come and work in the UK as he is struggling to find work and he would like to broaden his horizons so I am looking into this for him.

Are his qualifications transferable here - would he need to redo his apprenticeship, could he take another type of course that could bridge the differences between the UK/European systems, or is there another route? He has studied English at school since 8 years old (he is fully Italian) and he understands more than he speaks as he is bit shy. I would really appreciate anyones advice

If his spoken English is not good, in practice he is going to need to find an employer to take him on. In this case the employer will be responsible for matching his skills to the work undertaking and supervising him.

For domestic plumbing in the UK, the the 'simple' stuff you can do without registration but there are exceptions, e.g. unvented hot water systems, so some research is needed to be sure. He'll still need insurance, which will put further restrictions on the work covered.

For gas work, you must be on the 'The Gas Safe Register' of qualified persons. It's website has a page specifically about this topic:

If the link gets mangled go to the site and navigate to

Home > Services > Becoming Registered > EU Applicants

I hope you made a typo.

-18 years old
-Completed apprenticeship
-Couple of years experience

When did he start his apprenticeship? When he was 12?

I don't mean to be offensive.
From your post, it sounds like he has been plumbing for 6 years.

Reply to Advice on Italian Qualifications in the UK in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock