Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on how to remove broken waste body in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

My shower had previously been repaired really badly before I moved in. The plastic retaining collar on the waste had broken off. Instead of repairing it properly and replacing the waste with a new one, someone used bathroom sealant to hold the trap in place and just plonked the broken collar on top of the sealant. Now of course, it's come out as the sealant has degraded and it just fell apart.

The fix is relatively simple if I can get the old waste thread body removed from the trap.

The tricky part is that the trap is quite loose and moves around easily, as there's nothing holding it in place. I probably need to cut some notches into the plastic rim of the threaded waste body and use those to exert torsion and fit a L shaped implement into the trap to hold it in place while I try to unscrew the waste body.

However, I don't do this for a living, so one of you experts on the forum may have a craftier way of dealing with this problem.

Any suggestions solicited. I really don't want to have to remove the entire shower enclosure so that I can access the trap from underneath....

20210728_150528.jpg

Can’t you undo the chrome threaded bit by hand ?

Reply to Advice on how to remove broken waste body in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I'm currently doing the pre-planning for my next DIY project fitting a shower tray and enclosure from scratch. I'm confident of being able to do the job but not being a plumber not sure the best way to go about it so would appreciate any advice. The current upstairs room has a black waste...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure. I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My partner and I recently bought a house and have been attempting to make the bathroom less fugly. I was removing the bath and shower taps to replace, but while removing the bath spout (which had no nut to undo), the threaded section of the pipe broke. I thought the bit that broke must...
Replies
Views
Evening all. Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this in the forum, happy to move if not. I'm looking for a metallic 32mm matt black waste pipe, to match up with a matt back trap. The pipe that comes with the trap is 400mm, which isn't long enough for my installation. I'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock