Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on Glow-worm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all! Can I please have some professional opinion on our ongoing problems with our Glow-worm Fuelsaver mk11.
Now I know the simplist answer will be "replace the boiler" but during these uncertain times it's not an option.

We have a BG homecare policy and have now had 4 engineers working on the boiler over the last year. The first came out to carry out the annual service. However when he finished he couldn't light the pilot.

He had to call a colleague who arrived the following day to fit a new thermo coupler. The boiler pilot fired up and the boiler continued as per pre service. However as the months ticked by we were aware of noises coming from the boiler. Kettling?

It eventually settled down and seemed fine until a few weeks ago. The pilot went out. We managed to relight it and the boiler would be OK for a while and suddenly cut out. On average it did this about 8 times a day.

We called out BG and when the engineer turned up I explained that the controller had been making clicking noises and the pilot light was constantly going out. He went on to check out the boiler then replaced the old controller with a new one.

Off he went and things seemed fine. However within a few hours it began again. Off went the boiler, followed seconds later by the pilot.

Yesterday, after a 2 week wait yet another BG engineer arrived. I explained the problem and even had a video clip to show him the boiler cutting out, followed by the pilot. He made a call then disconnected the heating pump. He brought it downstairs and cleaned it out in the sink. After reconnecting the pump he fired up the boiler and said all was working OK. If it happened again he recommended a pressure clean as the pump was gummed up with black gunge.

Off he went. Sitting there twenty minutes later I realised there was no heating on. The room thermostat was lit so I walked thru the house to check the boiler. The pilot was alight but the boiler wouldn't fire up.

After an hour with the thermostat still lit I went to the boiler to check. This time the pilot was out so I relit it and the boiler fired up. Within ten minutes the house was warm again. However since then we have still got a problem with the boiler pilot clicking off.

A few things I have noticed which may be relevant to the problems. I have turned the room thermostat down to about 16°c from the normal 20. This seems to keep the boiler from tripping and ultimately the pilot going out over much longer periods.

I also notice that the radiators seem very hot to the touch.

It's really wearing us down now with periods sitting feeling cold, through to the boiler to relight it, heating fires up again then an hr or so later its cold again.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice on Glow-worm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock