Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on getting on the register in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thefatroller

Hi all,
I'm looking at getting back into the plumbing and heating industry. I'm a time served plumber and have my advanced city and guilds in plumbing and heating. However I have been out of the industry for about 6 years as I have been working in the carbon fibre industry. I am looking to get on the the gas safe register. i have done gas work before but that was under the corgi scheme. From what i have read I need to sit an ASC course and work along side someone who is already registerd, to build up a porfolio.
Please could someone advise if this is correct.

Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how long it will take to build my portfolio up. Does it depend on my ability and number of gas jobs done or is it set number of days?
Thanks

It's the finding somebody to supervise and sign off your portfolio that will be the issue.

If you have done acs before and still have copies of your old certs you may get in as a cat 1.
You need to speak to a training provider.

Thanks again for the advise. I have someone who is willing to supervise me and sign off my portfolio. The only certificates i have are advanced city and guilds in plumbing and heating from about 30 years ago. I'm 48 now lol. I will check out my local college.
Thanks

As Tamz says (when is he ever wrong?) if you can provide your certs, (it would surprise you how many plumbers cannot, and therefore aren't allowed to be CAT 1) and they show you as having done gas before then you are a CAT 1 and can simply book assessment at any provider, I would suggest you get yourself some training first, it's not about your ability it's a skill passing the exam and training covers the "way" the questions are written but refresher training can be several days depending on your ability and does not require any portfolio at all

correct, use a local college not a fast track nursery school

As a CAT 1 with previous quals, go wherever is cheapest and can fit you in to suit your workload, it doesn't matter where you do reassessment they are all the same, having worked in private training centres and now colleges I would agree the college is a better route for a CAT 3 who has no previous experience

Thanks again for the advise. I have someone who is willing to supervise me and sign off my portfolio. The only certificates i have are advanced city and guilds in plumbing and heating from about 30 years ago. I'm 48 now lol. I will check out my local college.
Thanks

You say your certs are for heating but you did work under the old CORGI scheme, do you have any paperwork to tie you to the old scheme?

You say your certs are for heating but you did work under the old CORGI scheme, do you have any paperwork to tie you to the old scheme?

I dont have any paperwork to tie me to the scheme as it was the company that was corgie registed rather than the individual, and thank for all other replies. I do still have my certificates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on getting on the register in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock