Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on DIY heatpipes in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm experimenting with heating solutions for my outdoor potting shed & workshop & I'm putting together an electric tube heater connected to copper heat pipes. Now I'm starting off small just as an experiment to see if I can do it & then upscale if needs be. So my question is about the heat pipe itself. I'm wanting to start off by making a 50cm length of copper piping, sealed at both ends eventually, but I'm trying to work out how much water to use to create the right amount of evaporation with still a small amount of water left to keep the cycle in the vacuum. I assume I create by heating the bottom with the water & having a fixing at the top loosely fitted so steam starts to push out & then I would seal it. And water comes to boil much lower than 100c when in a strong vacuum?
I was thinking about having multiple pipes cut at 50cm with the same fixings at 1 end & then pour in different amounts for each pipe & then seal when its boiling & a vacuum has been created & see which transfers heat the best & then repeat. But I thought I would ask first in case any of you wise people have already done this & know the amounts needed to save me the time testing.
I plan on using standard 15mm piping as it seems to be cheaper per meter than 10 or 8mm piping.
Thanks in advance.

What do you wish to achieve by lowering the boiling point of water?

If you want to heat your potting shed, why would you want to lower the temperature of the water to reduce the heat output of the system you are trying to design.

Lower water temp = lower heat output.

Lower pressure = lower boiling point.
Higher pressure = higher boiling point.

eg: Water boils on Mt Everest at 68C. Water boils at sea level at 100C.

How much heat do you want to transfer?

Here is an example of an 8 x 350mm heat pipe that uses water:

SF-08-350-S | Heat Pipe, Heat Pipe, 8 x 350mm | RS - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/8670950

The rated heat is 32 W which may be useful for cooling electronics but is not much for heating.

The performance of a heat pipe is mainly determined by its wick structure, which performs 3 primary functions: First, to allow the backflow of the liquid from the condenser section to the evaporator section; Second, to allow the heat transfer between the inner wall and the fluid; Third, to provide room for the fluid to change phase.

Standard Heat Pipes | MyHeatSinks - https://myheatsinks.com/heat-pipe-solutions/standard-heat-pipes/

Without a suitable wick the heat transfer between the water vapour and copper tube will be small making the heat pipe ineffective.

Reply to Advice on DIY heatpipes in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock