Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on a newly installed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aok1

I am looking for some advice from engineers regarding a central heating system we have just had installed which is causing us a few problems.

Every time the system is on there is a fair bit of noise from what I think is a problem with the pipe work, the noise sounds like 2 pipes knocking together and the pipe knocking against the joists. I appreciate there maybe some noise initially as the pipe work expands but this carries on for quite a while and can be quite noisy.

The guy who installed says there is nothing wrong and it is normal but I am not convinced, I took a floor board up and the pipes cross at one point and are tight up against each other, also they are quite tight against the joist. I am a spark by trade so I have seen a few plumbing jobs and the pipes have always been central in the cut outs and not touching anywhere.

He did say he couldn't cut the joist any further due to regs etc but I don't totally believe this due to the regs that apply to electrical installs but I take it plumbing will be different.

Also I was given his gas safe number - this is registered to a property management company locally and not him or his company, is this still valid if he works for them or is it only the engineer?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi
The notching will be exactly the same as for your cables (if you have an on-site guide it is the same drawing)
Good practice is to sleeve the pipes as they pass through joist with something like hair felt lagging.
Who did you pay, the property management company or this guy ? What details are filled out on the Benchmark cert.

as chris said best to insualte between the joist/woodwork with hair felt lagging. Also not a bad idea to put some nail clips on the pipework at the joist if they have alot of movement. The depth and width of the notch or hole is the same for all trades as per the building regulations or the joist manufacturers instructions if engineered joists.

if it was me id just make the notch alittle bigger and wrap some hair felt on it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did mention lagging but he said it was a fire risk which I found a bit strange but I never argued as i didn't know if the regs had changed regarding the material used. The joists have been notched out and not to well either from what I seen. I only really looked as I had to run a cable upstairs last week.

The floorboards were put back badly, split and screws hammered in, I even said to him I expect damage to them as they are t&g type and a nightmare to get up so let me know if he did damage any and I will get some replacements.

We paid the guy direct and I only questioned the gas safe issue as there is no mention of the company it is registered to on his estimate, I never thought about it at first as my misses knew him and I never thought to check his company name I just assumed it was ok as the misses checked and said yes the number is valid.

He has been back 4 times now and the system still bangs and creeks.

He's talking a load of rubbish. He's obviously just done a poor job and fobbed you off.
open out the joists and wrap some hair felt around and in between the pipes. And push him for your certificate of conformity, like the ones you have to give.

I will do, he's back on Saturday again so he will be getting told and I will check the cert.

I would do the joists myself but he's been paid so he can sort it out, I just had to be sure that there was nothing else that could cause the noise and I wasn't being unreasonable.

Thanks
Alan

The installer should have his own gas safe registration number. He should have an ID card with his details on it. Ask to see it when he comes round. If you're at all suspicious contact gas safe register. It's not unknown for someone to use another persons gas safe details to pretend they are registered.

check his number on the gas safe site online and there is a photo of the engineer. simples

I did check it and he is not listed for that number, there is only one guy listed and definitely not him or his company.

Thanks

Report him to the gas safe register then and don't use the boiler until it has been checked by a properly qualified installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on a newly installed system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock