Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed regarding possible return to the gas industry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Fantastic forum you have here.

To begin with, I have been out of the game for about 10 years now. I completed my NVQ 2 plumbing qualification and was Corgi registered. I worked for about 5 years installing boilers and heating systems.

However, I was young. At the age of 22, I decided to travel the world and ended settling in Asia. I am now looking to return to the gas industry. How feasible is this guys? I feel would need a few months (not sure how many) to get back into the swing of things.

Has anyone on this forum have any advice for me, as I basically about to return to the UK.

Many thanks

Aaron.

You will need to resit all your acs, best to ring GS and they will point you in the right direction

What have you done for work the last 10 years

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

J, I already checked the requirements and while I am more than willing to resit my ACS, I believe I have to still compile a portfolio as new entrants do given the time I have been away from the industry. This could, as far as I have seen on this forum, be a bugger to find someone to take me on to complete the qualification.

Scott, I studied for a degree in English and ended up teaching in Asia. But one can only have too much of a good time! I need to start thinking about a future now.

Aaron

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

J, I already checked the requirements and while I am more than willing to resit my ACS, I believe I have to still compile a portfolio as new entrants do given the time I have been away from the industry. This could, as far as I have seen on this forum, be a bugger to find someone to take me on to complete the qualification.

Scott, I studied for a degree in English and ended up teaching in Asia. But one can only have too much of a good time! I need to start thinking about a future now.

Aaron
Good luck with the portfolio I found that the most hardest to sort, when you return email 30 local GSR installers. That might help you out.

Hi guys,

Just a quick update for anyone in a similar boat as mine (see above). It is possible to re-qualify without completing the portfolio segment, as long as one can produce original ACS certs and (at the time) CORGI certs, which I can.

I also have another question, and would really appreciate some advice. I spent the five years I was CORGI registered on the install side. However, I am thinking that I would like to go into the servicing side this time around. I accompanied engineers on services during my apprenticeship but it was around ten years ago now. I was wondering if there are refresher courses for servicing boilers correctly, or is it just a case of follow MI procedure?

Aaron.

Your best bet is once your qualified is get your self on the baxi 3 day fault finding course

And then go on a few manufacturer boiler training course

Worcester, vaillint, ideal and Viessmann etc (the main ones)

Thanks for the quick reply, S.

Yeh that would be on my to-do list. There is also a new five-day fault-finding course at Ableskills in Dartford now. Was also considering this too.

TBH I would do the baxi 3 day first and see how you get on after

Hi Aaron Im in a similer boat to yourself but have been told diffrent and that i would have to build a portfolio .. Who or where will accept you old acs certs in stead of a portfolio

James

Hi James,

It was Ableskills in Dartford, Kent. Give them a call.

I have not tried any others as these were the first I contacted. And just to be sure I called them three times, with similar questions and luckily I managed to get three different people and each said I would be exempt from the portfolio aspect. However, it does not say that on their site.

How many centres have you tried, and did each say you needed to the portfolio?

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed regarding possible return to the gas industry in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock