Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danv44444

Hi Guys, I have just put borrila in roof solar panels on and I have nearly finished piping up the solar connections on the cylinder. The pumping station won't be conected to the electricity for a couple of weeks and there is no water supply to the unvented cylinder yet. Is it better to fill and vent the system with glycol or leave it empty. I was planning on filling it tomorrow but I'm not sure what's best to do? I don't want the sun damaging the panels is it better if there empty or full with no pump connected?

thanks guys.

You're better off to leave it not filled to avoid stagnation in my opinion. If you do have to fill, I tend to cover them up with sheets, Although I've never fitted that brand

Hi Jim thanks for the advice. I did fill them in the end and if covered them with dust sheets. Luckily it's not very sunny at the moment. Is it just the heat that causes stagnation?

Yes the super high temps causes stagnation, which can be a royal pain with some types of glycol. Wont get it happening much this time of year but its surprising when the sun does once in a while come out

Sorry to be late to the game.

IMHO you would have been better to leave them empty, as you only need a few minutes of sun to get these up to a very high temperature, which in thic case will then cause immediate stagnation.

It's not the panels that will get damaged it's the glycol that breaks down and goes all thick and gloopy.

When the power is on and the cylinder filled, you can then commission it and you'll need to be really careful about the temperatures that it starts pumping round, I'd suggest aiming to commission it and go through all the checks again including purging the system early in the morning before the sun has had a chance to heat it all up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

After some advice please. Recently bought some shower panels to have installed. However the installers must have missed installing the waterproof trim I bought as didn't use it? How much of a problem is this? I was told by another installer that it should be used as external seals are no where...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install to radiators being fitted and therefore able to comission the system. Our plumber is now employed elsewhere and unfortunately unable to complete this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock