Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danv44444

Hi Guys, I have just put borrila in roof solar panels on and I have nearly finished piping up the solar connections on the cylinder. The pumping station won't be conected to the electricity for a couple of weeks and there is no water supply to the unvented cylinder yet. Is it better to fill and vent the system with glycol or leave it empty. I was planning on filling it tomorrow but I'm not sure what's best to do? I don't want the sun damaging the panels is it better if there empty or full with no pump connected?

thanks guys.

You're better off to leave it not filled to avoid stagnation in my opinion. If you do have to fill, I tend to cover them up with sheets, Although I've never fitted that brand

Hi Jim thanks for the advice. I did fill them in the end and if covered them with dust sheets. Luckily it's not very sunny at the moment. Is it just the heat that causes stagnation?

Yes the super high temps causes stagnation, which can be a royal pain with some types of glycol. Wont get it happening much this time of year but its surprising when the sun does once in a while come out

Sorry to be late to the game.

IMHO you would have been better to leave them empty, as you only need a few minutes of sun to get these up to a very high temperature, which in thic case will then cause immediate stagnation.

It's not the panels that will get damaged it's the glycol that breaks down and goes all thick and gloopy.

When the power is on and the cylinder filled, you can then commission it and you'll need to be really careful about the temperatures that it starts pumping round, I'd suggest aiming to commission it and go through all the checks again including purging the system early in the morning before the sun has had a chance to heat it all up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock