Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed on college and gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi im new here im thinking of going to college for plumbing my question is could i become gas safe after level 2 and 3 i am wanting to become gas safe and dont think the level 3 would be worth payilng the 5 grand for if its doesnt get you up the the right level to to a gas safe plumber

These posts are getting very popular on here these days , as far as I know , if you pass your ACS and can satisfy a GS inspector you are competent you can go on the register, however in reality it isnt going to happen . Level 3 will obviously take you through the ACS so you are half way there .

These posts are getting very popular on here these days

You hear it mentioned on the radio a lot, that Britain is facing the biggest shortage of skilled tradespeople it's ever seen.

My old fella's best mate, left the joinery to go on to become a project manager and has worked for loads of the big builders in the UK. Whenever we meet up for a bev and get talking about the building, he says that standards of site work now are p*** poor - even in the office side. Nobody wants to get in to it, bar the odd few who post in here.

I once heard a 17yr old labourer with zero experience saying he wanted £100 a day (which was declined), house bashing. Lasted two weeks and was never seen again.

You hear it mentioned on the radio a lot, that Britain is facing the biggest shortage of skilled tradespeople it's ever seen.

My old fella's best mate, left the joinery to go on to become a project manager and has worked for loads of the big builders in the UK. Whenever we meet up for a bev and get talking about the building, he says that standards of site work now are p*** poor - even in the office side. Nobody wants to get in to it, bar the odd few who post in here.

I once heard a 17yr old labourer with zero experience saying he wanted £100 a day (which was declined), house bashing. Lasted two weeks and was never seen again.

agree too many trades people and not many skilled and good

Morning everyone, it's been a while since I last posted but thought I'd revisit this.

I've been getting on with my joinery and bits of plumbing, predominantly on my own jobs and I'm feeling confident. I still feel that I'd rather have been a plumber than a joiner and I want to get in to it full-time, the joinery could take a back seat.

I checked out one of these Gas managed learning programs at a local college and I'll be honest, getting info out of them has been like getting blood out of a stone, why is that? Anyway, this gas foundation course would set me back £6000+vat. I've used a couple of contacts and been in touch with a load of big firms about mentoring positions, I don't want to give up my own customer base but most aren't interested. There's one local engineer who is kindly willing to let me go with them on modules that need signing off, but not full-time as they have apprentices.

I let the college know about this development and they were like, you can start on the 25th of Jan, £500 deposit then 500 a month till it's paid off. I could borrow the money and pay it off that way or is this a load of sh***? Where am I going to be at the end of it? The college skimmed through the details, there's been no literature/prospectus etc, I'm pretty sure there are going to be other things I'm going to need to pay for. I wouldn't mind working for a company at the end of it if those qualifications put me in good stead but again, its all ACS, 2 years exp etc.

Long and short, I don't know where to go with this. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Reply to Advice needed on college and gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock