Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed in choosing new combinations boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
we have a 10 year old Vaillant Ecotec plus that keeps grinding to halt (fault code S53) due (I am told be various plumbers) to a clogged heat exchanger. We had a magnaclean fitted, 2 power flushes and a few years ago a new heat exchanger. All to no avail as its clogged up again. a plumber said that Vaillant have very small bore holes or whatever in the heat exchanger and are prone to clogging, but another make of boiler (unfortunately forgot which) is much more tolerant. Any advice on what make to buy. We have to accept that the system is dirty despite our efforts and try to choose a boiler that will cope with it or least cope for longer. Thanks in advance.

Hi

A popular question on here. You will need to have your system cleaned before an install, if it really is that dirty it would really need another powerflush, one with a warranty would be preferable, probably not the cheapest option but whoever you choose use someone reputable.

My personal preference is for Viessmann but every engineer has a favorite, Im sure there will be varied opinion to follow, a decent boiler will now include a 7-10 year warranty on parts and labour, but the system will have to clean and your service shedule would have to be to up to date. I'm suprised that the 2 previous powerflushes and replacement parts have not cured your ills ( unless its microbore pipework ) and wonder if they were carried out correctly.

I would wait for a day or so when all the fellas who are out working come back and give you their opinion tonight. There are other posts about this subject have a look many are recent

Hi
we have a 10 year old Vaillant Ecotec plus that keeps grinding to halt (fault code S53) due (I am told be various plumbers) to a clogged heat exchanger. We had a magnaclean fitted, 2 power flushes and a few years ago a new heat exchanger. All to no avail as its clogged up again. a plumber said that Vaillant have very small bore holes or whatever in the heat exchanger and are prone to clogging, but another make of boiler (unfortunately forgot which) is much more tolerant. Any advice on what make to buy. We have to accept that the system is dirty despite our efforts and try to choose a boiler that will cope with it or least cope for longer. Thanks in advance.

Paul , its probably the most asked question on here , we all have our favourites so every engineer will give a different answer .
I only fit viessmann . ( apart from the odd one )

Your boiler wasn’t the problem. Your sludged up system was. I would say you had a very poor powerflush, if the hex has blocked again.
Your system must be still full of sludge. So will need “properly” cleaning before any new boiler is fitted.
Don’t use the same guy and make sure the job takes most of a day to clean.
Your probably not going to use a vaillant again. But I would as all good boilers have small waterways and stainless steel heat exchangers.

Vaillant! The old vaillants where prone to certain internal pipework blocking. Could be a quick fix. But then again I don't know the state of your system

I would stick with Vaillant but have a proper powerflush completed. Sounds like half a job to me. Especially if it has clogged again.

Reply to Advice needed in choosing new combinations boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock