Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Needed: Can I install gravity fed toilet, basin and shower in new en-suite location? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning all,

-I would really appreciate your advice on whether it would be possible to have a gravity fed toilet, basin and shower installed in a my new layout upstairs?

The detail:

I currently own a two bed house (is actually a three bed on original plans) and want to covert it back to three bed with an additional shower room between master and second bedroom (jack and jill style).

I've been told by a chap (who does kitchen fitting normally) that the only way I can get the new layout is to install a macerator to the toilet etc. and have the pipes going up into the loft over to the back of house and down to the sewage stack. He commented we could only use the new layout for showering and 'light waste'- more solid waste wouldn't cope.

I've heard very bad stories (both online and by relatives) that macerators are terrible and should be avoided at all costs – also very noisy. I believe there would be little purpose is installing a macerator if it cannot cope with all waste (in terms of pumping up to loft, across and down again).

The soil stack is approximately just over 4 metres away (located in the back corner of the original bathroom near the bath.)

-Would it be a problem installing pipes underneath the airing cupboard if gravity fed was an option?

I have attached very rough floor plans of the original layout and possible new layout.

ORIGINAL:

ORIGINAL.PNG

NEW LAYOUT:

NEW LAYOUT.PNG

To be straight forward, full size waste needs to run in same direction as the joists which will prob not be 45 Deg. Assume you don't want to rebuild all the upstairs floors.

Also, do you have loo downstairs as well?

Another silly Q is what's underneath the new shower room, and do the sewers run round that side of the house? (Separate stack possible ?)

Silly question first, is the soil stack outside on the back of the house or boxed in inside.

Cheers,

Roy (Amateur all trades)

Good morning all,

I've been told by a chap (who does kitchen fitting normally) that the only way I can get the new layout is to install a macerator to the toilet etc. and have the pipes going up into the loft over to the back of house and down to the sewage stack. He commented we could only use the new layout for showering and 'light waste'- more solid waste wouldn't cope.

I've heard very bad stories (both online and by relatives) that macerators are terrible and should be avoided at all costs – also very noisy. I believe there would be little purpose is installing a macerator if it cannot cope with all waste (in terms of pumping up to loft, across and down again).
Well first off tell this kitchen fitter to stick to fitting kitchens, who`s ever heard of a macerator that will only do "Light waste" whatever that means! Correctly installed and used they are fine. Don`t always believe horror stories unless you know the whole story!

Reply to Advice Needed: Can I install gravity fed toilet, basin and shower in new en-suite location? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock