Search the forum,

Discuss Advice: Medway Super Gas Water Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Looking for some advice. We have two boilers in our house, the Medway Super (which heats the water) in the airing cupboard and another boiler in the loft (installed years later) for the heating.

The hot water boiler (Medway) is only putting out mildly warm water, regardless of the thermostat setting. The pilot light is on and when we turn on the hot tap, all the flames kick in.

I spoke to a gas engineer today who said Medway Super parts are so expensive (as it's so old) I'd be better off ripping out the two boilers and replacing them with a combi instead of buying parts - which is great advice... if you have the money.

We've been saving for this boiler and have around a quarter of the quoted cost (approx £2k).

Any thoughts? I don't really want to use credit for this.

Many thanks

Sounds like a heat transfer issue, if it's scaled up this can be treated, you've just got to decide if it's worth spending money on.

what colour are the flames ? what sort of water ?
tbh you might havebto be prepared to replace, esp. if you have no knowledge or qualifications centralheatking

Thanks for the responses. The flames are blue, they look fine.

I don't understand where the hot water is going... surely if the flames are all on I should have hot water coming out somewhere?

Also, if we were to replace - where would be put the combi boiler? In the airing cupboard or loft?

They are simple but a lot of parts are obsolete for theses nowadays it will be a cheap part that is a bugger to change. But I would recommend a new heater or as you are a boiler change.

If money is tight , you maybe better changing the water heater.
Ideally you would install a combi , but thats a whole new issue and a heck of an expense.

If Ryan85 is not gsr then all our/my advice is no good
maybe a gsr might change the the diaphram ...less than £10.00 to,buy, labour intensive BUT other parts can cost plenty..more ...up to £300 for some big parts ....this is where the uneconomical element kicks in.

Sorry I forgot to confirm - I have no gas or plumbing experience at all - just a simple home owner :)

It's looking more and more like a total replacement.

One question remains - if we were to replace - where would we put the new combi boiler? In the airing cupboard or loft?

So Ryan85 its time to bite the bullet. You are not alone on here but spreading some lolly
as you have discovered is now
inevitable I advise. Have a think, ask questions on here but do not penny pinch esp.if you are staying...and keep us fully informed ..we can only help you properly with full info
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

w/b ..= renault. vaillant = audi
centralheatking
Haha, I wouldn't class a Worcester as a Renault and given the actual reliability of Audi I wouldn't put vaillant in the same group as those either. If anything Worcester are Audi (mostly bought for the name but not actually reliable past the warranty) and vaillant would be Honda.

Haha, I wouldn't class a Worcester as a Renault and given the actual reliability of Audi I wouldn't put vaillant in the same group as those either. If anything Worcester are Audi (mostly bought for the name but not actually reliable past the warranty) and vaillant would be Honda.

Honda build fantastic engines though

w/b have 300 + engineers on the road .....a few years ago a fault call would be attended promptly now its 3 weeks for non vulnerable soft problems
...not good

Reply to Advice: Medway Super Gas Water Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock