Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for oil-fired newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpiderD

Hi

This is going to sound really stupid....

I've bought a new build house with a Firebird Combi C. I haven't actually moved in yet, so all I have is the Enviromax manual, which seems to be about 99.9% technical detail with very little in the way of operating instructions.
It has a dual timer, and if I'm reading the manual correctly, you have to have the timer set up to turn the boiler on before you can get hot water? I'm used to a gas combi where you can get hot water at any time, so it seems a bit odd that this boiler can't do this.
It looks like you can set it up to run continuously (no timer program) but does this burn more oil even when there's no actual demand on the system?
Also, what's that High Limit green light? Is that OK? Does it go out or change colour if there's a fault?
Where is the reset button?
Some of this will probably become obvious when I can get my hands on the boiler, but I've got enough on my plate what with selling current house etc without obsessing about a boiler!
All help and advice appreciated
Thanks

depending on make / model of programmer then its multi functional, ie on or off or timed etc. it works the same way in how a gas boiler would work, apart from some oil boilers having a small water storage unit built in. It depends on your usage as to how you set it up. If constant use throughout the day set it to the continous on position and the boiler will maintain the stored water to set temp. If you only want water say for a wash in the morning then say a shower and washing up in the evening set the timer the same way you would for heating to come on half hour before demand to maintian stored heat. Its built in flow switch detects the water flow and thus heats on demand. The high limit light is there to give you an indication that the boiler has "overheated" to which the light would illuminate and usually lock the boiler out until it is reset. The reset button is usually under / behind facia panel. either red or black

All the info you want will be in the manual, alex was right about the boiler timings. This boiler has a hot water store so when the boiler hot water is on constant the store is heated up and goes off on its thermostat when it reaches temperature, it will only come on again when there is a demand or when the store temp drops, it uses very little oil when maintaining its temperature and it hardly comes on much due to the good insulation. These work on thermistors that detect a drop in temperature when the hot tap is opened and this fires the boiler up when the temp in the store drops. The dual timer on the boiler is factory fitted and it is of the mechanical type which give little trouble.

Thanks guys. One other thing - I was down there last week for a flying visit and noticed that the plume from the boiler tends to hang around the flue (it's in the wind shadow of the house) and since the flue is at waist level you have walk through the plume every time you go down the garden path. Is it permissible/possible to have the flue extended upwards to clear the roofline? It's a single storey add-on, so 5 feet or so would do the job.

Yes if you ring firebird you can get plume diverter kits very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for oil-fired newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock