Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for new british gas boiler on one pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul1977

Hi chaps,

I have a one pipe system and my old potterton netaheat has finally cracked and is beyond repair.

I need it fixed asap and have had 2 plumbers say they could not provide a "warrantee" on a one pipe as its not guaranteed to work efficiently. British Gas have been out and quoted £3o00 for a new worcester bosch boiler with a full warantee etc and are not concerned about it being one pipe. Its not a big job but the flue and condensing waste pipe does need moving through to the next room to comply with regs so theres alot of holes to be drilled and made good.

I have another plumber coming tonight to quote but my issue is i don't know anyone locally that i can definitely trust. therefore i think going with British gas makes sense for the piece of mind and warantee even though i suspect they are 1k more than anyone else!

interesting in your thoughts,

Paul

One pipe is fine. Where are u I will fit u a combi for less than 3k! The only thing with a one pipe is fit a magnaclean. As on o one pipe all flushing does is clean Main pipe. Best to remove each rad and flush with hose. Your boiler manufacturer will provide you a warranty 7 to 10years!

Hahaha.

1. The BG guy who came to see you probably has NO CLUE what he's talking about, just a salesman.

2. BG will offer you a warranty because you have to pay for it through their service contract!

Better off ripping the lot out, new boiler, rads, pipework and having a decent free warranty (7 years is standard) from the manufacturer than paying those robbing swines.

Think It will comply with part L as it's only a boiler swap. You can fit trvs on to a one pipe also!

If you fit the right trv's.
Normal trv's usually have too much resistance unless it was piped really well ie main run directly below rad.

I'm not as fan of fitting condensers to one pipers but have done in the past where i needed to. The boiler won't condense much as the loop keeps the return temp up. Try to adjust it back and the rads suffer.
Apart from that it will work ok.

The trick is to bury the last 5m of run in an external concrete slab then u always get a good drop over boiler!

There's no guarantees but one pipes are fine with modern boilers. Trv's for one pipes are expensive tho. But I've fitted standard ones that have worked ok as long as they have a decent flow rate through them..

Post your location and somebody one here can prob give you a quote.

bg won't warrantee your pipework unless your paying for such.

also your boiler prob contains asbestos, have any of these companies told you how they will deal with this?

Last edited:
British gas will give you a warranty through their homecare, but if the system doesn't work correctly due to it being a one pipe system they will not re-pipe the house to get everything working. The problem with a one pipe is that the further rads on the system tend not to get much heat, requires decent balancing of the system by the installer but even then there's no guarantee it will all work.

Best solution is to have it all re-piped to a two pipe system, this will be cheaper outside of British Gas. If you stay with the one pipe at least BG will keep coming out to resolve any problems without any extra cost.

note well, the bg boiler warranty is 1 year only thereafter you pay annually for homeserve or what ever. A independent techie fitting a WB boiler gives a year or so on system and the WB warranty is around 10 years on the boiler, no annual charge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for new british gas boiler on one pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock