Search the forum,

Discuss Advice combi boiler plumber says can't fix expansion vessel/access it? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could advise if I should get a different plumber for a 2nd opinion.
Basically, my combi boiler is in my attic. It is overpressurised at the moment and the overflow pipe always drips.
I had a plumber round, he seemed good and honest and knew the neighbour so seemed good.
However, he said my combi boiler expansion vessel was broken and was causing the drip. However, the way the boiler is positioned in the attic, makes it hard to replace the expansion vessel so he told me I would have to get a new combi boiler and put it in a different area.
I am UK based and cannot afford to pay for a whole new combi boiler at the moment, I own my flat outright though. I just dont want to take a loan out.
To be honest, its spring now and if I need a new boiler id rather not use hot water until I can afford a new one.
Any advice? Should I get another plumber to give a second opinion, or just face the fact that I need to pay about £3000 for a new boiler? :(
I am tempted just to sell my flat, its so much hassle owning property, a money pit. Thanks!

Sounds like he might be trying it on...get a second, third or fourth quote/opinion.

Unless the install is illegally positioned you should be able to get a fixed price repair offered by most manufacturers.

If it is a faulty expansion vessel and access truely is very difficult it should be possible to put another EV somewhere else on your system without having to take the boiler apart.

If ownership of boiler/property is particularly stressful take out an insurance plan.

Any pictures of the boiler ?

Sounds like he might be trying it on...get a second, third or fourth quote/opinion.

Unless the install is illegally positioned you should be able to get a fixed price repair offered by most manufacturers.

If it is a faulty expansion vessel and access truely is very difficult it should be possible to put another EV somewhere else on your system without having to take the boiler apart.

If ownership of boiler/property is particularly stressful take out an insurance plan.
Thanks, Ive had another boiler person in a while back and also the boiler was serviced about 4 years ago and although he mentioned the boiler was put in a stupid place he never mentioned it being "illegal". I can take photos of the layout and put them here if anyone could offer any advice? Thanks, Ill get another opinion. Luckily its spring now so the worst case if I have to completely replace the boiler I can wait until autumn to sort out the finances for that!

its not often the expantion vessel fails, most times just needs represuring not a new boiler , 20mins of a job,
and not expencive at all.

its not often the expantion vessel fails, most times just needs represuring not a new boiler , 20mins of a job,
and not expencive at all.
Thanks, well he charged me £120 for 20 minutes to unblock the drain (which I did myself last time, this time he told me I had to rip out some units because the block was further in the pipes and a snake mechanism would not work) and then checked the boiler for about 10 minutes. Even if my boiler needs replacing, I will get another estimate. He said he would send me a quote for a new boiler but has not. I think probably he thought due to my accent, I am well off which im not. Wtf is the problem with some plumbers? Its not as if they dont earn a good amount of money anyway!

Boilers in lofts is a a minefield, I personally won't put one up there , but its there now so you either pay for a repair possibly a external expansion vessel could be fitted ? Or replace it ? . Kop

Boilers in lofts is a a minefield, I personally won't put one up there , but its there now so you either pay for a repair possibly a external expansion vessel could be fitted ? Or replace it ? . Kop
Hi thanks, yes I will try to get a second opinion this week. Do you or anyone else think its wise to mention the other plumbing saying that the whole boiler needed replacing? Or should I just tell them the problem that the boiler is leaking water in the outflow pipe outside my flat when on?

Boilers need a yearly service to check they are working efficiently and safely I'd would just say your not in a financial position to replace the boiler at the moment , and would like a repair done if possible don't go saying what other tradesmen have said . Kop

I man might look from a distance and say can't be done, another might have the boiler of the wall and new vessel fitted by the time you've made tea and fetched cake.

Reply to Advice combi boiler plumber says can't fix expansion vessel/access it? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock