Search the forum,

Discuss Advice, career change dont no what to do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leeh1982

Hi all I’ve only just joined today thank you in advance for any of your comments.

Im 27 currently a HVAC design engineer in building services on 35K a year 26K after tax with 10 years experience.

Now for the down side stuck in a office, working for a boss who's got no time for you or anyone else struggling your way through your career with no help learning to do things the hard and long way by having a go scratching your head and making mistakes then getting b......ed and spoken to like your thick for them, so as you'd expect im not confident in my job, okay at it but could be better and my heart isnt in it anymore.

The out come of the above is im really interested in doing a course as a gas engineer/ plumber.

Anyone heard of hybrid gas training course:
4wks training followed by 200 hours on site experience if you pass this you become a fully qualified gas engineer.

I no its impossible to learn a trade in 5wks but time is money and 2 years in college when you got a mortgage and bills to pay is madness.

My mates got his own business and is telling me come with him cause he's earning a fortune doing 12 hour days on his own phone never stops as he's got loads of land lords on his books with boiler repairs leaks etc.

Am i being sucked in by the old saying the grass isn’t always greener. I just don’t want to leave my job start a new career and hear them words i told ya so.

Any comment please cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I repair boilers and heating systems, I don't do plumbing.

They courses are a scam IMO, I'm not saying they don't exist but in this Game on the job experience wins every time, go out with ur mate, work toward ur acs and see how things go(maybe go out on ur own or sub for firms)

To work on gas boilers/fires etc u only need ur acs (gas safety) the nvq stuff helps with fault finding etc but is not essential to work on gas.

U learn far more from a good tradesman who's taken u under his wing than u ever will in the classroom when it comes to fixing heating

Hi all I’ve only just joined today thank you in advance for any of your comments.

Im 27 currently a HVAC design engineer in building services on 35K a year 26K after tax with 10 years experience.

Now for the down side stuck in a office, working for a boss who's got no time for you or anyone else struggling your way through your career wit*************
h no help learning to do things the hard and long way by having a go scratching your head and making mistakes then getting bollocked and spoken to like your thick for them, so as you'd expect im not confident in my job, okay at it but could be better and my heart isnt in it anymore.

The out come of the above is im really interested in doing a course as a gas engineer/ plumber.

Anyone heard of hybrid gas training course:
4wks training followed by 200 hours on site experience if you pass this you become a fully qualified gas engineer.

I no its impossible to learn a trade in 5wks but time is money and 2 years in college when you got a mortgage and bills to pay is madness. +++++++

My mates got his own business and is telling me come with him cause he's earning a fortune doing 12 hour days on his own phone never stops as he's got loads of land lords on his books with boiler repairs leaks etc.

Am i being sucked in by the old saying the grass isn’t always greener. I just don’t want to leave my job start a new career and hear them words i told ya so.

Any comment please cheers.

It really is risky especially in this climate but if it's something you really want to do, i would suggest save a little bit of money so you can continue paying your mortgage and bills etc.

Those four week intensive courses are terrible, you would not learn enough in such a short space of time, i wouldn't touch them. Ask your friend if he could possibly put you through an apprenticeship?

There can be a lot of money to be made in being a gas engineer but not much more than what you're earning now.

If you are not happy at the moment then do something else . If you think you would like to work with your hands plumbing then that is ok , do this because you want a change and you would enjoy the work not because you want to earn £30,000 because you will be lucky to make 10k - 12k in the firs few years as your phone is very much likely to stop ringing. Also if you have a mate then do a short course not one for ten weeks mind maybe a diy 2 weeker for around 1k just to get some basics then go with your mate as experience is the only thing worth its weight in this game. Not many people have a mate that is willing to take them on with zero experience , there are lads on here that would kill for that opportunity.

Where is this 4wk gas course? what are they called?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Words are cheap over a pint of beer. If your pal means what he says, call his bluff if there is one? Say you will start at no cost to him, by shadowing him providing he answers the questions that arise and points you in the right direction for training material/books on the subject. If he's doing 12 hour days, say you will tag on to him say three evenings and a Saturday every week for say 5 weeks. This will test you both, and give you the opportunity to make decisions on your future without getting burnt. May i add. I has known a lot of plumber/gas and heating people over the years, and those who have achieved financial success and stability have all worked exceptionally long uncontrollable hours for the first 10 years Good Luck

Justlead has given good advice. Financial security is a big thing to give up so you should try before you buy if you can. You may take to it or you may not.
Although your mate may be busy enough with what he has now remember if you get good at it, his 12hr days will turn into 6hr and he will need more work. Have you discussed money? He may be making 60k or whatever but how much would he be willing to give you? Remember for the first while, even if you pick things up quickly, he will be carrying you and effectively paying you to learn. How much is that worth compared to what you are now on? I think you should have a serious talk first.

Btw Just a thought. Have you thought about applying for an HVAC job elsewhere? You may just need a change of scenery.

Hi, That which has been suggested makes good sense. Changes in out industry will be massively, when the green type systems kick in with a bit of funding and we are short of qualified people in this area in my opinion. The benefit of being a consultant / designer working from office at home, Allows a far better life style. As the times you work can be any time within the 24 hour cycle, it not tied to the 9 to 5 existence. Unlike gas fitting, where you will be running about like a blue arsed fly and face confrontation on a daily basis.

Thanks everyone for you advice some wise words.

Your right words are most definitely cheap over a pint, I’m gunna follow him around after work and at the weekends at no cost to him.

I wont be jumping straight from the frying pan and into the fire its a great opportunity to learn something new and your right experience and knowledge is key and the qualifications are just a bonus cause by what I’ve heard and seen on site its amazing how many qualified plumbers there are out there who don’t understand there systems and basic engineering principles.

I’m in the same boat as all you plumbs out there the building game is on it knees very quiet at the moment so wont be finding many job vacancies in this climate.

Some one asked about the course its called hybrid gas engineering fast track training but won’t be rushing to join until I’ve have all the experience and confidence to do the job in hand.

Thanks a million everyone for you replies, this site is a true credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice, career change dont no what to do in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed up in my work for so long that I’ve enrolled to do my gas safe and become an engineer. I know it’s hard work but I’m really excited and I’d love to...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hi guys So basically what happened is an engineer came out to my mums a week ago to do her annual gas safety check, shes a disabled bed bound OAP so on these occassions i have to go to the property to let the engineer in to do the job, she lives in a council property in London. So guy turns up...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock