Search the forum,

Discuss ADVICE -Best pipe cutter for 40mm plastic?Hi Guys in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a 40mm PVC/Plastic pipe cutter, i have a ceapy chinese ratchet type one but the ratchet system is broke, plus a 40mm pipe barely fits into it.

I will be doing a lot of floplast or polypipe solvent 40mm cuts (not sure which atm, whoever is cheapest and does black fittings/40mm tank connectors etc).

Are these OX ones any good, you can get spare blades etc.

Also which is better Floplast or Polypipe? Plus will they actually fit as i think Floplast is 43mm?

Cutter -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OX-Tools-Pro-POLYZIP-FAST-CUT-Plastic-Pipe-Cutters-15mm-22mm-35mm-42mm/113743748811?epid=13032639686&hash=item1a7ba7decb:g:s~8AAOSwDPdc1XfG

Thanks

I use what's to hand, hacksaw, hands, multitool. I had plastic pipe cutters for 40 and 32 but found them to be sh!te

I use what's to hand, hacksaw, hands, multitool. I had plastic pipe cutters for 40 and 32 but found them to be sh!te
I don't want to do hundreds of cuts with a saw/deburring tool hence me asking for a tool.

What type of pipe cutters did you try?

The ratchet type on 40mm i had were useless.

Cheers

Roth plastic pipe slices for me haven’t changed the blades yet

also when you first turn them around the pipe first don’t grip / squeeze the pipe slice too much else it will be stiff to turn

Ive currently got ridgid ones that cut up to 65mm I think nice things but pricey.
Couple of my subbies have rothenberger ones work ok seem a bit prone to sticking. One of others has some of the monument ones had then a few months not had any probs.

Yeah it’s just the small one looks like the blade set across at a slight angle, hence spirals off. Can stop it if I remember which way to fight against it!
Probably fixable with a couple of shims but never got round to it....

I got one for £20 couple of weeks ago from stoolstation. Works pretty well to be fair.
One cutter does both 1 1/4 and 1 1/2.
Rothenberger Plasticut Pro 35-42mm - https://www.toolstation.com/rothenberger-plasticut-pro/p81400
I've changed my mind about it. It's a useless piece of plastic, needed to do about 12 cuts with it on Tuesday and didn't get a single one anywhere near square, lots of spiralling no matter what I did. It's going back for a refund tomorrow.

Not just me then!!!
Very annoying when it spirals such that the useable pipe is now too short. My little one is now in the bin.

Roth plastic pipe slices

I bought a ratchet type on around 15 years ago & it was Great so i bought another as back up. I lost one after a few years & then lost the second one. I couldn't find another so bought a replacement from toolstation it didn't last 2 minutes before breaking so bought another one. That has lasted longer but is crap! I seen this thread & looked on here hoping to find a really good one that a few people would recommend.
Don't know if its any help, but the good ones I had, had more of a v shaped blade that cut straight through brilliantly but the crap ones just have a normal flat blade which of course make them a lot harder to cut through.
I'm no expert though. And I'm a joiner. I only started plumbing 15 years ago when a kitchen & bathroom company I was working for threw me in the deep end onto bathrooms when they were stuck for bathroom fitters, but hope the info is a bit of help??
Darren

I have never had an issue with these as I said.

Attachments

• 5AC3ED41-88B2-4F94-BCF3-B2CEA0670F4E.jpeg
    5AC3ED41-88B2-4F94-BCF3-B2CEA0670F4E.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 13
As above never an issue. Got to grip it quite tight to keep it true. It doesn't have the "springyness" of a copper slice. Don't know what the others are doing wrong...:)

The slices are designed for imperial/ push fit but do work on solvent with some success. A rothy 50mm ratchet is ok.

I've tried most things and a junior still gets used more times than not.

As for silvent pipe polypipe Is better than floplast in abs. I use hunter pvc for external as I can get it locally. Osma pvc is ok too but not stocked by many.

The slices are designed for imperial/ push fit but do work on solvent with some success. A rothy 50mm ratchet is ok.

I've tried most things and a junior still gets used more times than not.

As for silvent pipe polypipe Is better than floplast in abs. I use hunter pvc for external as I can get it locally. Osma pvc is ok too but not stocked by many.
That got me thinking, I tried the rothy slice on pushfit pipe and it seemed OK, not 100% but got an almost square cut most of the time. I was cutting solvent pipe when it kept spiralling, solvent is my preferred pipe jointing method so if they don't work on solvent then I'm glad I got a refund.

Reply to ADVICE -Best pipe cutter for 40mm plastic?Hi Guys in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock