Search the forum,

Discuss Advice about metal plate which has fallen out of Gas Fire in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I am hoping you can help me, I live in a high wind area and following the recent storms I noticed that when I got home a metal plate had fallen from the top of my gas fire and become lodged inside the fireguard, from what I have managed to research online my fire appears to be a Baxi Allure.

Upon removing the grill it seems that the metal plate in question (image 2a) appears to belong just about the four radiants, presumably to hold them in place firmly although as experts I am hoping you can confirm whether this is the case or whether it serves a more important purpose.

There are indentations on the plate that appear to match up with the holes in image 3 and I am assuming that it was originally attached but unfortunately there no longer seems to be any way to fasten it back as it has become permanently detached.

My question is, is this plate vital to the operation and safety of the fire or can I still use it without this present? the radiants still seem to hold in place pretty well, unfortunately I do not have central heating so this fire is literally my only source of heat in a house which is currently freezing (which isn't helping my arthritic dog) so any advice would be urgently appreciated from any gas engineers out there as I do not have the money for an expensive repair at the moment!

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Image 2a.jpg
    Image 2a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21
I guess not the answer you were hoping for, but for yours and the aged dogs safety and comfort you need to get a Gas Safe (fires) registered engineer to refit the plate and service / check over the fire.

It is not a big issue, but must be done properly.

Sorry, but this is the only way forward.

In the interim, don’t use the fire

Thank you for your help and prompt response. Do you have any idea how much this is likely to cost? I don't get paid until next Thursday so with snow due up here soon this is really not good news.

I guess not the answer you were hoping for, but for yours and the aged dogs safety and comfort you need to get a Gas Safe (fires) registered engineer to refit the plate and service / check over the fire.

It is not a big issue, but must be done properly.

Sorry, but this is the only way forward.

In the interim, don’t use the fire

Sorry to not have been the bearer of good news.

Hard to guess on price, but probably £50 to £80.

It is important to have it properly and correctly repaired. Please don’t take any risks with gas fires.

Hi Brambles,

Well the gas engineer came round today and confirmed my worst fears, the plate was only the start of the problems as there is a big crack inside the fire so as it's already over 20 years old it's been condemned.

I'm now looking at other options from getting a new one to having my boiler repaired which, upon inspection, he thinks is a genuine possibility and as I've used him several times before he kindly waived his call out fee for today's visit.

Whatever happens I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help, when I posted here I really didn't expect a reply at all never mind one within hours of me posting so thanks again and you're doing a great service to those who need free and helpful advice!

Sorry to not have been the bearer of good news.

Hard to guess on price, but probably £50 to £80.

It is important to have it properly and correctly repaired. Please don’t take any risks with gas fires.

Reply to Advice about metal plate which has fallen out of Gas Fire in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock