Search the forum,

Discuss Advice - 15mm gate valve to 22mm flow in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, new member here, so hello! I recently bought a house that needs heaps of work, so have no money and lots to learn along the way.
Ive had a new WB 8000 Life 40kw system boiler installed on my gravity fed system. The house is a long bungalow with roof rooms which had no heating so I asked my plumber to put a couple of T gate valves on the flow and return just after the pump and motorised valve (which sit at the same height as the upstairs floor) to allow me to run pipe (aprox 12 meters each way) for 3 rads. Im doing it in plastic, have fitted the rads and bought all the supplies (which I cannot return) to do 22mm flow and return with 15mm to the rads. Unfortunately I've now just noticed the T gate valves the plumber fitted are reducing from 22mm down to 15mm. Will this cause any potential problems as I cant return the supplies, so plan on going ahead as before but just going back up to 22mm from the gate valves. Or should I drain down and have the gate valves replaced to 22mm equal Ts, which is more work and expense? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
What size / output are the rads ?

I would change it to 22mm as your port valve is that size does the return reduce down or is it a tee off ?

Both the gate valves on the existing 22mm flow and return are reducer Ts going down to 15mm. The new circuit would connect into these. The new circuit F&R to the 3 new rads from the exitsing F&R (serving the rest of the house) would look like this... 22mm(existing flow), 15mm T off (reducer gate valve), back up to 22 (new flow), 15mm to rad and back, 22mm (new return), 15mm at T(reducer gate valve), 22 existing return. Hope that makes sense.
Would reducing down to 15mm through gate valve cause any undue restriction. I already have all the 22mm pipe and fittings, so I'd like to use them. Would it be necessary to swap out the 22/15 gate valve Ts.

Yes best to swap it all to 22mm

Your limiting your flow so it could reduce your heat capacity

Id like to get the upstairs radiators running asap, so short term, the only issue I could face is possible less efficient heating of these radiators? Can you just confirm that. If so, I'll crack on and save swopping out the gate valves for 22mm till the spring. Thanks.

Two will work the 3rd might not

Yes it’s like having a valve half shut

Reply to Advice - 15mm gate valve to 22mm flow in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock