Search the forum,

Discuss advertising - what do people find the most cost effective? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWaite

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
yellow pages, online paid advertising, onlinefree advertising, lead sites like servicemagic, flyers, networking meetings, local newspapers, ads in shop windows, etc etc

what seems to bring in the most work from these? I have had a few bad experiences already with advertising, just cancelled a google adwords express ad but atleast i get my money back!

Would like to know your opinions

Used to have a landing page on yell.com but got rid of that as hardly had any calls and at £88 or sso per month was turning out to be waste of money .
Service magic seem to be on my case quite alot lately dont even know where they got my number from either,not sure if its worth a try .

Different advertising works for different people, I like networking and stay away from google ad etc and servicemagic etc.
Free ads can work and get your name out there.

I hardly advertise. I have a website and do one or two adverts each year. I did one in church diary about 3 years ago which was very successful but that's also because I'm known at church.

Just telling customers what I do brings in work. For example, if I'm fixing a tap or wc I frequently mention that I do radiators and heating too as well as boilers? Or if I'm servicing a boiler I'll tell them I do radiators and bathrooms.

It's surprising how many think they need different people to do different jobs and how they split up small and large jobs. Took me a while to realise that I was getting recommendations for fixing taps and wc's (to go to another house to fix their tap). But some of these customers didn't think I could change a radiator.

Also many think it's only electricians who can change immersion heaters, zone valves and circulating pumps.

So, just the basics - tell people. Something I was told years ago was our parents spent 18 years trying to shut us up and marketing is all about shouting louder about our services and how good we are.

Leaflets I have found very good, Posting them through peoples letterboxes and handing them out to people. Had a pile of leaftlets on my bootfair stall at the weekend picked up two jobs!

I find that small adverts in local su post offices, newsagents, chippies etc hve been most effective. I've also stuffed flyers through doors but aimed at a target market such as properties around 15-20 years old. They are likely to have the out of fashion gold taps etc.

The flyers do work but usually not immediately, people tend to hang on to them until such time as they want something doing. I had one last month who had saved my flyer in the kitchen drawer for almost 2 years.

Word of mouth usually gets results.

At one time the plumbers union wanted to change the name of "Plumber" to "Building Mechanical Services Engineer" for the reasons, dontknowitall, says. People simply do not know the full range of a Plumbers work. They seem to think all it involves is working in houses rewashering taps or clearing toilets. Been like that for years though. Funnily enough they usually think the "sparks" can do anything electrical from a rewire to fixing a computer. We lost the PR battle lads, years ago. We still have the bos white and hemp smell lingering. Ahh! memories!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advertising - what do people find the most cost effective? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock