Search the forum,

Discuss advertising my services... but where? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickytheplumber

i've been looking at upping my advertising and thinking about getting a website and after doing some searching on google servicemagic, ratedpeople, mybuilder, bigbuildersbum, freeindex all came up as advertising sites. Doing the maths it looks like my yearly investment after paying out for a website would be around £700 a year for those additional websites. I don't mind spending money or paying for per lead but looking for advice from the digital age if these websites are good as apart from service magic i can't seem to find a telephone number for any of them and for my area birmingham it seems fairly competitive.

It seems like the monthly average would be £58 and that is fairly cheap as my seo is costing me £800 per month. My plan is to hand over the reigns of the business to my son late next year so really want to help him out.

Does anyone have experience?

i've already paid for the website and it is being done for £1,200 the link you sent me and i found the sponsor thread said £350 but i'm looking for a high quality branding as this is a long term project for my son and therefore need a lot of seo not just £20 a month rubbish.

I'm looking more specifically at the ratedpeople type sites - they seem competitive in terms of how many plumbers have signed up but are birmingham and mybuilder seems like the best as in birmingham it don't seem like anyone else wants the work. i think i'll get my son to deal with this.

Rated people and service magic will cost more than £700. When the leads from rated people start £4.80+vat upwards I think the highest I've seen was around £50+vat if you buy everything then you will soon smash that £700.00. Service magic is even more expensive for servicing/repairs but I think the installations are cheaper (I won't pay £30+ for a lead when they are selling it to 2 others as well).

my seo is costing me £800 per month. My plan is to hand over the reigns of the business to my son late next year

Does anyone have experience?

cough******, i would put that to my monthly pension, thats a long length of string imo?

freeindex is not too bad and its free, unless you want to pay for the upgrade. a heating engineer i was talking to yesterday said it was good and he had 2 leads through while i was talking to him. i have the free listing and recieve 1-2 leads a week.
for the rest i dont rate then at all!. i prefer referals and local advertising as i am opposed to paying for leads that lead to nothing!. i would happily pay a 10% finders fee for the job i got and completed, so until then there not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was involved in a debate with Marc Lockley at Goto Gas Docs and he wanted to prove that anyone can follow the wordpress or joomla website videos, buy free themes, free seo i.e. seo yoast and get above all those paid sites within a town where others are not only paying for the website design but also monthly seo (but only in local towns).

He built a quick one over a weekend which is on page one at Petersfield and other local areas:
Term: petersfield gas engineers (Gasmark2), Cost £15 and free hosting at freehostia; amazing bit? There is no such Gasmark2 company, you won't find any tel no's.

There is stiff competition in Petersfield for Bed and Breakfast so he knocked another one up as the competition all pay SEO companies:

Term: petersfield bed and breakfast (The Causeway Guest House), he also added a G+ page which can be accessed at the bottom of page one and that alone has had 56,000 views and the B&B has been inundated for over 2 years! No constant updating at all or monthly fees (cost £15 and free hosting at Freehostia).

Once you have the nack (if you want to do it yourself) you can update it all yourself.

Wordpress seems to be the easiest and the seo yoast is simple to use.

There is an opinion, mine, that seo types talk out of their asses, after all only one person can be top of the list and they arent all going to get there. My website, gets me on page one of searches when peeps type Ifracombe plumber, and this was the case fm day one, and my website cost me 3 rad installs for a mate who does web software builds.

However my advertising policy is via local ad mags at £100 a month for the 2 local ones. Means Im not competing with the world online just 3 or 4 other companies.

I do struggle a little to see that someone can charge £800 for a website build, £15 for a couple of years domain names up front, hosting at £100 / year +, and minimum charge seo at £20 months so a grand for something you can follow on links whilst watching Chelsea and united on the box.

Hmm....

As you say, they can't all be no.1 on google and as long as you are up in the top few you'll get a look.

If you do a video it sticks out as well from all the others on the page and you can even do that for free if its not too long!!

why not spend £10.00 on serif X5 build your own website and do your own seo the prices you've quoted are eyewatering they definately saw you coming, do it yourself edit it yourself for nothing!

Gents

I'm not paying anything, I know how to get it done for next to nothing, the prices are quoted and many have said they pay similar.

It's a shame but I guess it's no differehnt to plumbing and heating!!

I spent £697 with Yell. Within 4 hours of it going live, I got a job that paid £1850. I also got a website done that initially cost me £150 for the first page and designing etc etc. I then added additional stuff for extra. I would certainly go for it, my work went through the roof after doing Yell and the website. Good luck.

don't waste your money on yell you must be the only plumber in England that's got any work from them

don't waste your money on yell you must be the only plumber in England that's got any work from them
I always ask my customers how they found me and quite a few say Yell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advertising my services... but where? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock