Search the forum,

Discuss Advantages of Direct Heated cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeakyNick

Hi

I'm looking at a thermal store which gives mains pressure hot water. The store will be heated by a solid fuel burner and a gas-boiler. I could have two coils put in the store (one for gas, one for stove) but I could also do-away with one coil and (say) have the stove directly connected to the store's fluid. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of going direct with one of the heat sources, instead of having two coils?

Thanks

Leaky

Hi

I'm looking at a thermal store which gives mains pressure hot water. The store will be heated by a solid fuel burner and a gas-boiler. I could have two coils put in the store (one for gas, one for stove) but I could also do-away with one coil and (say) have the stove directly connected to the store's fluid. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of going direct with one of the heat sources, instead of having two coils?

Thanks

Leaky

I would have them both direct, If the gas boiler is a condensing boiler it will be more efficient as it will have a lower return temperature which is better.

Speak to the thermal store manufacturer for advise, I use Newark Copper Cylinders and are very helpful. DPS are also very helpful but pricey!

Eco

Thanks Eco. I will speak to Newark but if I go direct heating, are there any disadvantages in having the return (say) 12" from the bottom of the tank? Basically, I'm doing a solar install and the woodburner isn't powerful enough to heat the entire tank so I'm wondering about convection currents being a problem if the return isn't at the bottom of the tank.

Leaku

Thanks Eco. I will speak to Newark but if I go direct heating, are there any disadvantages in having the return (say) 12" from the bottom of the tank? Basically, I'm doing a solar install and the woodburner isn't powerful enough to heat the entire tank so I'm wondering about convection currents being a problem if the return isn't at the bottom of the tank.

Leaku

Newark will build you one to that spec. but normally for solar the bottom of the cylinder is solely for the solar anyway and everything else is taken above that.
The convection currents are not a problem from any input or output on the cylinder.

Eco:)

Cheers. Thanks for the info.

Leaky

Another question that has arisen.... as I'm changing the old vented cylinder for a vented thermal store, should the old cold-feed cistern be changed for a smaller F&E cistern, or is it OK to leave-as-is?

Leaky

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers. Thanks for the info.

Leaky

Another question that has arisen.... as I'm changing the old vented cylinder for a vented thermal store, should the old cold-feed cistern be changed for a smaller F&E cistern, or is it OK to leave-as-is?

Leaky

You get quite a lot of expansion with a thermal store because of the extra water content in the system, if the old cold feed cistern is in good clean condition it would be ok to use this

Eco

Thanks Eco. Would the system run OK without some sort of corrosion inhibitor in it, or should some be added?

Leaky

Thanks Eco. Would the system run OK without some sort of corrosion inhibitor in it, or should some be added?

Leaky

No you need inhibitor and for the increased water volume you need to add more than a standard system

I've used both but I prefer newark and are cheaper, more helpful and to the same spec

Sorry can I butt in and ask how is it vented yet provides hot at mains pressure?

the heating side is vented and the main runs though a coil at the top
do solid fuel boilers need metal f and e tanks ?

I reckon they do as if the system vents-over too much, then it'll melt the cistern. Very dangerous.

Leaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advantages of Direct Heated cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock