Search the forum,

Discuss Additional Service Call Fee in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mary O

Is it regular practice for a plumber to charge an additional service call fee when they are already at a customers house on a call, just to go out to their vehicle to get a part needed for the job?

No I wouldn’t say that was fair if there policy is a call out charge per job and the engineer is on site eg two jobs you should only pay one fee

If people call us and ask for a plumber to attend a job we have a base rate that we will charge someone so as to cover the cost for someone attending, if the job can be done within the base covered time with material from the van then it is no problem. If we discover that the job is going to take more time and material then we will give an estimate but we will still require payment for the initial visit because we have attended and diagnosed what the issue is.

The problem with a lot of contractors is that they don't want to commit over the phone with a cost because you never know what the job is going to be like but, generally, explaining the above to a customer before attending will usually avoid any dubiety.

In this case, the tradesman should have given you the cost for the part required and charged you additional hourly rate that it took to complete it.

A callout is a minimum charge on top of the first hour's labour to get to the property, essentially to pay for travel and travel time and, realistically, the time spent doing paperwork. Generally, I think we all tend to include this inside the minimum charge for up to an hour's work.

Time spent getting some extra waste pipe because there isn't enough in the van should be covered by whatever mark-up the plumber puts on materials. It's a standard part and if there isn't enough in the van then we've misjudged our stockkeeping.

But what if the customer needs a new 3-port valve head? They are manufacturer specific. Would it be reasonable to call them a standard part? A ceramic insert for a tap. They aren't all the same. The replacement heads for TRVs are all different and rarely compatible. This kind of thing is where I might be charging an hourly rate for time spent at the merchant (though I'd make it quick) because I cannot reasonably carry all this stuff in the van. Pimlico Plumbing does much the same. That said, the charge for the time spent is not as much as another minimum charge.

What/how much is Mary O being charged though? I might have a different price structure that sounds fairer, but might still be more expensive. So the bottom line is relevant.

Reply to Additional Service Call Fee in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock