From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Adding toilet to soil stack in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Steve2178

Hi,

I have an old cast iron pipe that needs replacing and I want to remove it completely and divert an upstairs toilet to the second soil stack I already have a few meters across the wall.

the second soil stack already has a downstairs toilet on it.

I would like to know more as I’ve been informed by a plumber that if I add a second toilet to the top of my other soil stack I could force the water into my downstairs bathroom out of the toilet bowl due to the pressure?
im sure I’ve seen many houses with more than one toilet on a soil stack so can anyone confirm if this is correct or what precautions need to be done to ensure this setup is ok?

here’s a photo so basically I want to put a pvc elbow where the cast iron branch is coming out of my wall and run a horizontal pipe with a slight drop around 3m across to the other soil stack.

I want this pipe completely removing and I plan to remove the hopper and downspout too as I’m extending my conservatory and this wall is going to be an interior tiled wall. I don’t want to have a pipe on my inside wall and or box or in as to waste space.

Attachments

Aquarius

Aquarius

Plumber
Gas Engineer
I don’t personally see the issue with your proposal. Old Blocks of flats have toilets on each floor sharing a stack, and they don’t have issues.

OP
S

Steve2178

I don’t personally see the issue with your proposal. Old Blocks of flats have toilets on each floor sharing a stack, and they don’t have issues.
That was my thought. He mentioned something about pressure building up in pipe and causing downstairs toilet to be effected somehow by it?

Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Gas Engineer
That was my thought. He mentioned something about pressure building up in pipe and causing downstairs toilet to be effected somehow by it?

What was he proposing? Or was he claiming it just wasn't possible?

OP
S

Steve2178

What was he proposing? Or was he claiming it just wasn't possible?
He said highly recommends I don’t do what I propose and instead just replace the entire cast iron with pvc but that defeats the purpose of me wanting a clear wall to tile

Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Gas Engineer
He said highly recommends I don’t do what I propose and instead just replace the entire cast iron with pvc but that defeats the purpose of me wanting a clear wall to tile
Weird, it is really common to have multiple toilets on the same soil stack.

OP
S

Steve2178

Weird, it is really common to have multiple toilets on the same soil stack.
so if I go ahead and use a different plumber who said he’d do it no problem he ain’t a cowboy? I won’t have issues with downstairs toilet?

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can you add some more pictures please ?? of what is connected and internally. Kop

Reply to Adding toilet to soil stack in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads