Search the forum,

Discuss Adding Thermostatic Mixing Valve in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have NuHeat UFH system, and this has no Thermostatic Blending valve on the heating circuit. (Heat Master II cylinder has pick up coil)

Nu-Heat System installed -
NuHeat schematic.jpg

This means I can't run store above 60C due to risk of overheating UFH pipes.
I want to add a Thermostatic Mixing valve so have bought a 28mm UFH Thermostatic Valve.

I have a question as to location ...
Temperature is limited by the thermostat on the Thermal Store to 60C
Water is pumped on Return circuit from distribution manifolds for the UFH

To aid in boiler efficiency and solving some other issues, I intend to add a 28mm Thermostatic Mixing valve .... The first picture represents position a 'as is'

as is.jpg

My preferred option is OPTION 1

Easiest as pump and pressure relief etc. need not be moved
blending valve opt 1.jpg

Or alternate is Option 2

This pumps out the mixed water from the valve .. so change the pump onto flow not return.
A lot more work to achieve.

blending valve opt 2.jpg

Welcome thoughts from those that know ... or in fact does it make any difference.

Option2 is fairly similar to a conventional UFH manifold with its own pump but this will also have hot water inlet to the TMV from another pump whereas you will hope to achieve it with one pump.
It will also have some implications for the Hx if you look at the following.
Assume a UFH heating demand of 10kw with flow/return temps of 45C/37C, and a store temp of 60C, the UFH will require a flowrate of 17.92LPM at 45C, of which 11.68LPM at 37C must be recirculated/mixed with 6.23LPM returned to the Hx at 37C, so the Hx should supply 6.23LPM at a dT of 23C, (60-37)

If no TMV (like now) and the store temp at 45C then the Hx must supply 17.92 LPM with a return of 37C. dT 8C.

Just now cant see Option1 working due to the pump position??.

Option2 is fairly similar to a conventional UFH manifold with its own pump but this will also have hot water inlet to the TMV from another pump whereas you will hope to achieve it with one pump.
It will also have some implications for the Hx if you look at the following.
Assume a UFH heating demand of 10kw with flow/return temps of 45C/37C, and a store temp of 60C, the UFH will require a flowrate of 17.92LPM at 45C, of which 11.68LPM at 37C must be recirculated/mixed with 6.23LPM returned to the Hx at 37C, so the Hx should supply 6.23LPM at a dT of 23C, (60-37)

If no TMV (like now) and the store temp at 45C then the Hx must supply 17.92 LPM with a return of 37C. dT 8C.

Just now cant see Option1 working due to the pump position??.
OK .... Opt 1 was the suggestion from Heating Engineer who installed the boiler, it would certainly be easier ... but no point in doing it is not ideal.
Opt 2 means a rebuild of all the pipework & fittings ... moving of pump, pressure gauge, Bypass relief etc. ... but if its correct then taht is what will have to be done.
Pic of the install attached .... thanks for confirming.

UFH connections-121257.jpg

Also had a neighbour just provide this .... which confirms what John.G helpfully advised ....

Need to think how to do this with as little work as possible.

Attachments

• Mixing Valve.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 7
Probably .... the reason is I also have a Solar PV array on the roof.
I have a smart switch that dumps unused electricity into an immersion heater in the store.
(in summer have the boiler off for most of the day by a time switch & relay arrangement)

I can get more gain in use of this surplus if I increase store temp ... to 70 or even 75 but I can't do that without putting in a blending valve - I have bought it in readiness.

This is a lot of pipes & fittings to change - need to think out the best way to achieve Blending valve across store connections and pump from the blended 'centre' output of the valve to the manifolds.
Probably leave it to when I don't need heating .... (May onwards), but could get all parts in ready.

Just wondering would installing a tap stat type by pass between the flow&return or around the ABV would be simpler, these have a sensor attached to a capilllary you attach the sensor downstream of the bypass and set it to 45C or whatever?

Just wondering would installing a tap stat type by pass between the flow&return or around the ABV would be simpler, these have a sensor attached to a capilllary you attach the sensor downstream of the bypass and set it to 45C or whatever?

not sure if it would or not, but already bought the 28mm UFH blending valve ..so good or bad that decision is made.

Reply to Adding Thermostatic Mixing Valve in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock