Search the forum,

Discuss Adding Sealant to CH system - Old Radiators and Conventional Boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 120051

Hi folks,

I have had issues with the central heating plumbing leaking, in this (very old) house, over the last 4 or 5 years since I moved in. I know a plumber who added Fernox sealant and after this failed to work, Corgi sealant to the system, which stopped the pressure from dropping for a consistent 14 months.

Since yesterday, the pressure has dropped to below 0.5Bar despite re-pressurizing the system, it has dropped again today.

I ordered the same Corgi sealant that worked in the past, but not sure if the plumber will be able to make it over any time soon to add it. I noticed that he added it into the system where the conventional hot water tank is, in the past.

I ordered one of these "Eezyfill" adapters to add the sealant to the system, but the radiators in this house are ancient.

Perhaps I would be able to isolate a part of the plumbing next to hot water tank (e.g. magnetic filter) and then add the sealant in there, before re-pressurizing and running Central Heating?

I would greatly appreciate any advice in layman's terms...

Many thanks

Tom, Belfast.

P.S. I have attached some photos showing the pipes and plumbing :) trying to figure out where he added the sealant and how

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_121201.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121201.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210510_121217.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121217.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210510_121226.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121226.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210510_121237.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121237.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210510_121245.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121245.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210510_121336.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121336.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210510_121407.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121407.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210510_121414.jpg
    IMG_20210510_121414.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, you could stick it in the filter. My only concern is that your next post will be 'help my Magnaclean is leaking since I took the lid off'. If you're confident taking the top off your Magnaclean though, then go ahead.

In theory, the right way to tackle this would be to find the leak and stop wasting time with leak sealer - not always possible though.

Yeah, you could stick it in the filter. My only concern is that your next post will be 'help my Magnaclean is leaking since I took the lid off'. If you're confident taking the top off your Magnaclean though, then go ahead.

In theory, the right way to tackle this would be to find the leak and stop wasting time with leak sealer - not always possible though.
I think it's due being cleaned as it hasn't been opened since it was installed 4 years ago.

I think that the leak is in the ceiling of the living room... last time it leaked 14 months ago there was water dripping down there through the light fixture :(

Perhaps I should simply get that repaired! Would make a lot more sense in the long run wouldn't it...

Will have a look at this magnetic filter and the sealant. It has valves on I/O which makes me worry less about it... I had read online that model of mag. filter can be leaky though.

Thanks for the advice.

I think it's due being cleaned as it hasn't been opened since it was installed 4 years ago.

I think that the leak is in the ceiling of the living room... last time it leaked 14 months ago there was water dripping down there through the light fixture :(

Perhaps I should simply get that repaired! Would make a lot more sense in the long run wouldn't it...

Will have a look at this magnetic filter and the sealant. It has valves on I/O which makes me worry less about it... I had read online that model of mag. filter can be leaky though.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes those Magnacleans are a nuisance. Sometimes hard to open, sometimes hard to seal. Price the manufacturer wants for spare o ring seals is hilarious.

If you get the lid off okay, pop some silicone grease (has to be silicone grease - nothing else!) on the threads and the lid O ring (perhaps using an old tooth brush) if you have some to hand as this will help.

It sounds like you are assessing the risks sensibly. Wishing you the best with this, but as you say, it will almost certainly need cleaning anyway.

Leak sealant is a short term fix to get you out of trouble momentarily. You really aught to find the location of the leak and repair.
Sealant could be induced through the mag filter, alternatively through the filling loop or rad when done the correct way.
Any magnetic and non magnetic filter should be annually checked and cleaned along with boiler/system service. If its been four years untouched and your system is fouled then it probably won't being helping at all.

Reply to Adding Sealant to CH system - Old Radiators and Conventional Boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock