Search the forum,

Discuss Adding pump over-run? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a new Firebird Silver Boiler House model oil fired room heat only. I note in the manual all other models in this range have pump over- run connections. But not mine:

Screenshot_20220118-213510_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The circulator pump is wired with the boiler. So when a zone valve opens the boiler and pump both get 240v.

Could a pipe stat or similar be used in order to provide power to the pump so it runs momentarily after the boiler shuts off to remove the excess heat and put it into the circuit? Or not worth looking at?

It's a 2 Zone system so I suppose it would also add complications to the zone valves. Ie would need wired in such as way that it gets powered by the zone valve opening and keeps it open until no heat calling and temp satisfied. Problem is with 2no zones that could be 2no stats any maybe a headache getting it to work.

Just wondering if anyone has retrofited pump run on.

Last edited:
Time delay relay once switch live cuts it runs the load on for x amount of time

I have measured my Firebird flow pipe a few times over the years after boiler shutdown and the temp rise was 20/25C from a burner off temp of 70C which is - 0.6kwh. If you captured this every time the boiler cycled then obviously huge potential savings but the circ pump only stops when room stats and cyl stat or is programmed off which may be 3 or 4 times/day, even then if you have pump overrun the boiler will still have to make iup the previously captured 0.6kwh the next time it fires up, you will only gain what energy is lost to outside due to radiation losses, say 1/2 of 0.6kwh X 4 times/day, or - 1.2kwh/day, easy to calculate your savings then based on fuel costs, based on my kero fill yesterday, £0.08/kWh so max of 365x1.2x0.08, £35/year
Maybe add another 0.6kwh/day for overnight loss which otherwise would have gone to the house, so savings possibly around £50/year??.

Last edited:

Reply to Adding pump over-run? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock