Search the forum,

Discuss Adding new radiator to heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello I would like to add a radiator to my current heating system and would like to take some advice on how to achieve this?

Thanks

what heating system do you have

combi
cylinder

pressurized
open vent eg tank in the loft approx 1x1 foot

10mm to the rads or 15mm etc

Can you count how many rads you currently have, and how many panels they have? Also can’t remember from previous posts what boiler you have?

You will have to drain the system down after turning the f&e tank off turn off all the rads at both ends. Then hang your radiator after working out the best pipe routes for the flow and return. The rule is two medium sized rads per 15mm pipe run 3 at a pinch. Start at the rad or the t junction end and bang it all in. you can use copper ...best or plastic bit ugly if its on view. turn water back on , check your work then open new rad check again. open all the closed rads. go round and bleed bottom ones first. check again, switch heating on sweat in this heat. switch off sit down award yourself a few beers
already in the fridge. Simple who would get a plumber for this !
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

You will have to drain the system down after turning the f&e tank off turn off all the rads at both ends. Then hang your radiator after working out the best pipe routes for the flow and return. The rule is two medium sized rads per 15mm pipe run 3 at a pinch. Start at the rad or the t junction end and bang it all in. you can use copper ...best or plastic bit ugly if its on view. turn water back on , check your work then open new rad check again. open all the closed rads. go round and bleed bottom ones first. check again, switch heating on sweat in this heat. switch off sit down award yourself a few beers
already in the fridge. Simple who would get a plumber for this !
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Do it soon winter is on the way

Worth flushing the new pipework before connecting to the rest of the system. Sentinel tells me that flux (and oils inside the new radiator) often remains in the system and the dissolved copper it holds can actually prevent inhibitor from working correctly. And the oils can damage EPDM rubber in systems - quite a bit of rubber in some Valliant boiler models.

Best practice is to fill the whole system with new systems cleanser to get the flux out, circulate as per manufacturer's instructions and then drain. It is doubtful how many people will go to that length, particularly for a small modification such as yours, but if the labour's free, it's only the cost of the F3/X300 (etc.). Many people would be happy with an old-school cold flush, then hot flush, and then refill (i.e. refill the system and check for leaks, circulate the water and drain, refill again heat the water and circulate and drain, and finally add inhibitor and refill) and hope that gets most of the flux etc out.

You can use a hose to siphon the crud out of the F & E rather than drain it into the system. It can be one of the most satisfying plumbing tasks.

I think I have found the flow and return pipes to and from the boiler and these are 22mm would this be right?

Could I tee straight from these and then reduce the pipe down to 15mm. I will be using plastic pipe and fittings, this will not be on display its just for my fish room.

You can get 22-15-22 saves a joint...do not put plastic too close to the boiler...sounds like a great plan...how old is the centralheating
system ...if old beware of 3/4 inch pipe looks like 22mm but you would need 3/4 t
centralheatking

Perfect thanks, copper it is. The flow and returns are running around the top of the cieling so I will run the pipe work down from the top to the rad valves. Which end of the rad valves corrospond with which flow of pipe?

Perfect thanks, copper it is. The flow and returns are running around the top of the cieling so I will run the pipe work down from the top to the rad valves. Which end of the rad valves corrospond with which flow of pipe?
just use lockshields and it does not matter, if wasting dosh on trv then the pipe that heats up first is the flow
centralheatking

Don’t tee into the boiler primary’s else you will get the rad coming on with the hot water

When I put the heating on the first pipe to heat up out the the two 22mm is the flow out and the other is the return?

Does said pipes get hot when the hot water is on ?

In short if they heat up when either heating or hot water is on or both these are the pipes direct from your boiler

If you install the rad on these you will have it heating up anytime the boiler is on

Best to find the heating circuits even if it’s 15mm

In short if they heat up when either heating or hot water is on or both these are the pipes direct from your boiler

If you install the rad on these you will have it heating up anytime the boiler is on

Best to find the heating circuits even if it’s 15mm[/QUOT

Best to find the heating circuits even if it’s 15mm

Thanks. Where would you normally find the heating circuit?

In your opion.

I'm doing research and learning and asking questions. I understand there is a heating circuit and hot water circuit so there must be a manifold that diverts the hotwater to the Rads. I've re read my question above and yes it sound dumb.

I also understand why you cant tap in to the boilers main supplies and you need to tap into the heating circuit only or it will be heated by both hotwater supply and heating supply. It makes sense. What I meant by question where my cylinder is would there be a manifold there where it diverts hotwater to the heating system?

Reply to Adding new radiator to heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock