Search the forum,

Discuss Adding multifuel stove to heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobHum

Hi Folks,
I have an idea I would really like some help with. I was wondering if it would be possible to plumb in the back boiler on my wood burner into the central heating return pipe. I have a gas combi boiler. The stove back boiler has an 8ooobtu output so not enough for a heating system but enough to warm the return to the boiler. I hasten to add this is just a thought and I am not about to blow up the street...
I appreciate any thoughts on this

the back boiler should be open vented
the combi a sealed system, so it can't work as described

Last edited:
No you can't connect an uncontrolled heat source as in your stove to a combi boiler

Thanks Simon,
I must admit I did wonder about the sealed system. Any ideas what I can do with a stove that is used most days but only heating one area. I can add a back boiler for about £250. I had in my mind that the boiler would act as a heat exchanger, but you are right I have not thought this through completely.

Leave the combi alone, drop the rads in the bedrooms/bathroom off the combi and pipe through back boiler (piped correctly). If the stove is on most of the time at least you will be able to distribute the heat through the house. Not a bungalow is it?

Thanks Simon. I remeber my parents house had a rayburn that heated a bedroom and bathroom, thier bedroom as I remember, mine room was freezing. Not a bungalow so should be ok there.
Thanks once again for your help and advice.

We had a solid fuel aga when I lived down in oxford for a year as a kid. The flue snaked through the house, it was always nice and toasty.

Get a plumber in who knows about this kind of stuff
Seen some shocking stuff and if done wrong it's dangerous

Failing that which is a bit old fashioned have an H2 panel installed and you can have the best of both worlds.
I am not selling these but have done many installs with various heat sources and have had very good results

As above it is possible using the correct equipement but not a diy job, best if you have not bought the back boiler to just install it as is, and the heat from the stove can warm the whole house by leaving the room door open. Just remember installing any solid fuel appliance is as dangerous as a gas appliance and can kill if not installed correctly. Also you need to have a CO monitor installed in the same room as the stove.

Thanks eco,
The stove has been fitted professionally. I just happened to notice on the manufactures website that their stoves were able to take a back boiler which got me thinking....
I must admit it is one of the best purchase’s I have ever made, especially with the winter finally arriving.

When you use a multi fuel stove without a back boiler, if the house had air conditioning throughout, then the heat will be distributed all over.

Hi it is possible, as said earlier, as with an H2 panel, they allow for complete automation of both systems,although they both need to run of open vent! they allow you to run the wood burner, which if enough will do all heating demand, but if not enough will push though though to main boiler for a boost up to temp. check out (I think) Heating inovations, I belive that they now do a veriaty of panels for different applications!! I have done a couple and work well!!!

Hope ths is of some help.

Can some one tell me if a multistove could heat a entire house? I say there probably is big kW out there that can do it. Also could it be connected to my existing flow and return from boiler with a pipe stat and circulator?

Yes there is stoves that can heat a house

Defiantly not can you just connect it in

Multi stove, because it is less responsive, needs different controls and pipework. It is possible to combine the two but in general it is easier to add a boiler to existing multi stove system than reverse case.
Keeping stove on separate system may prove most economical and would be source of heat in event of power failure.

Thank you. Can you tell me why old back boilers got scrapped and now people are wanting them back to save on fuel bills. Thanks.

Most old back boilers worked on gravity circulation with pipe size 28mm plus and DHW cylinder placed to promote this type of flow, tank above ,vertical flow and return.
Pumped systems allow greater flexibility and smaller pipework but at cost of complexity.
Don't start me on combi.

I see how solid fuel boilers are dangerous as there is no thermostat to shut it down and why it's saver without a pump in case the electricity went out and the pump stopped while the fire was still burning away. It would be a big Bang! Also having the bigger pipe size acting on gravity hot rising and cold falling. If you were to connect to a boiler you would be heating up bigger pipes then it would became less practical in the long run. That's why it would be best to be connected to a neutraliser.y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Adding multifuel stove to heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock