Search the forum,

Discuss ACL LP522 Central heating issue in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
Hope you can help with a central heating issue. I tried turning the central heating on today but without success. The orange light that usually comes on when the heating is triggered isn't illuminating - I've tried the once, twice and fully on modes and it doesn't come on in any of these, nor does it trigger the boiler. The hot water is working fine, so I'm guessing the programmer is at fault.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

Yeah it does sound like the programmer, but could be a loose wire. Failing that you could always put a link wire in, and control it via the thermostat if you need a new one.

I have an open central heating and hot water system using a Potterton Profile gas fired boiler, a hot water tank, a Drayton motorised valve, a Drayton Lifestyle LP 522 controller and a Drayton Digistat 1 thermostat.
Over the last 4 months I have had a problem whereby the heating has not come on but the hot water has been fine.
The first time this happened I contacted a heating engineer to look at the overall system. He recommended a new valve which he duly bought, fitted and tested. He then had a few issues with the controller that he said he eventually cured stating that the two securing screws on the underside were loose.
Anyway, the system worked fine until today when I woke up to discover no central heating.
After disconnecting power, I checked the controller and contacts and all seemed to be fine. I next checked the motorised valve and the valve mechanism. Both seemed to work okay and I checked the wiring to see if there were any loose connections. All seemed fine so my thoughts turned to the thermostat. Was the signal from the thermostat reaching the controller?

The answer was no.

The reason? Well, this particular thermostat is powered by batteries and the battery holder is inserted from BELOW.
After time, the weight of the batteries moves the casing downwards thus losing contact. The digital display can still show but the contact is lost.

So, a poor design in my view. Something to watch out for as I was about to commit to new controller/valve!

I will have a look at the contacts again and see if there is a permanent cure. If not, a more reliable thermostat.

Shame the original heating engineer didn't identify this. Either he knew and was expecting more business from me or he was incompetent.
Not knowing about a defect doesn‘t make you incompetent. This is the first I’ve heard of this issue.

Not knowing about a defect doesn‘t make you incompetent. This is the first I’ve heard of this issue.
Well, someone else answered my post and said that it was a well known fault!
I'm no heating engineer but by adopting the well trodden path of elimination (like when your car won't start for example), I discovered this fault myself. A competent heating engineer would have done the same I'm sure.

Well, someone else answered my post and said that it was a well known fault!
I'm no heating engineer but by adopting the well trodden path of elimination (like when your car won't start for example), I discovered this fault myself. A competent heating engineer would have done the same I'm sure.
I know about it because BG had this problem with the units as they used them badged up, so being ex BG I knew about it. But not everybody would also they are on version 3 so your unit must be well past it’s sell by date by now.

Reply to ACL LP522 Central heating issue in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock