Search the forum,

Discuss Accidentally fixed toilet - advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys

So I got back to my flat last night and noticed my toilet kept overflowing from the cistern into the bowl. So a constant very slow trickle of water flowing into the funnel circled in blue (photo attached)

Anyway - I took the top off my cistern and started fiddling around with Styrofoam float that you can see me holding in the picture - it came loose and is no longer attached.

I panicked thinking I had broken the toilet.... But after a couple flushes the water no longer fills up to the level (now about 1cm below) of the blue circle in the picture.... So my toilet is no longer overflowing into the bowl, which is perfect.

I'm paranoid though given the float has completely detached haha. No pieces of plastic or anything like that have come lose. Literally just fell off with very little force

Any ideas why my toilet is suddenly working with one less part? Nice to have it working properly, but strange to have taken a part out of the toilet.

I phoned my plumber (who i had previously asked to come and take a look) and explained what i had done - he said to keep an eye on it, but he doesnt want to come and charge me £70 for a toilet which is now working minus 1 part.

Tom

Attachments

• 1814620629.png
    1814620629.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
The float regulates how much water flushes out the cistern before the siphon shuts off. It won't regulate the fill valve. If your toilet was overflowing that would suggest a fault with the inlet valve, if your valve is only slightly passing you may not notice the water level rising unless you leave it for a couple of hours. Check the water level in the morning. If it's fine then leave it till it fails again.

Reply to Accidentally fixed toilet - advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, as is the toilet my toilet once flashed just keeps running when I move the blue float up-and-down The toilet will stop running and refil as normal but the problem persist. Is there anything I can do to fix this quickly or do i need replacement parts ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and after a shower but this happens seemingly randomly and probably happens when no one is home). As a result my water bill has considerably increased but I...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock