Search the forum,

Discuss absolutely no clue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanish

Gas Engineer
retrofit of ufh preferably without tearing up slab, but would like to make use of the generated heat without losing it to the slab what is the best solution/insulation

in here because will be rung of ground source heat pump

cheers

U can get thin floor stuff but it's a shortcut......

Why a short cut? Lower thermal mass, quicker warm up times.

Watch the pipe runs with low build up systems, smaller diameter pipe with higher heat pump flow rates = careful planning required. Make sure whoever you choose for UFH knows it's for a heat pump.

25mm of the super insulated celotex equivalent to 100mm of normal, then the thinnest that I know of is: LoPro10 - Nu-Heat - Underfloor heating and renewables the next thinnest is Overlay Lite Underfloor Heating

Managing the flow and head loss using a GSHP will be critical, you will need as a minimum a buffer or low loss header, my preference would always be for a buffer, a good control system (heatmiser) someone needs to do the heat loss calcs to make sure that either of the above solutions can deliver what you need. All ufh works better with a thermal mass, though if you ain't got it then no choice. (Flow rate, flow temperate, head loss, heat loss, emitter output; Simples :) )

Get this: CIBSE - Underfloor Heating: Design & Installation (Domestic Building Services Panel) 2012 it's only £18.50 and will save a fortune in mistakes.

i was gonna suggest the overlay lite, been looking at it for a project im starting working on.

I run UFH from a GSHP all fitted retrospectively in a 1960 bungalow. Admittedly I did break up the existing screed to fit the UFH so as not to lose too much floor to ceiling height, The floor make up is as follows 30mm celotex with 16mm pipes in cliprails. Between the pipes short lengths of 25x50 batten as a guide for a weakish screed(for the thermal mass) and finally 22mm chipboard laid over as a floating floor.

The system has been in and running for the past ten years delivering loads of hot water and the house is nice and warm. FYI I installed a IVT Greenline GSHP

Hey all, many thanks for all of the input, apologies for the delayed response, I have been looking at new ventures and thinking of getting into laying and polishing concrete slabs as a add on to my business, purely based on that is what I want my home floors to be and as with everything I believe it cost effective to qualify/buy in the kit and diy then use it to make money...

25mm of the super insulated celotex equivalent to 100mm of normal, then the thinnest that I know of is: LoPro10 - Nu-Heat - Underfloor heating and renewables the next thinnest is Overlay Lite Underfloor Heating

Managing the flow and head loss using a GSHP will be critical, you will need as a minimum a buffer or low loss header, my preference would always be for a buffer, a good control system (heatmiser) someone needs to do the heat loss calcs to make sure that either of the above solutions can deliver what you need. All ufh works better with a thermal mass, though if you ain't got it then no choice. (Flow rate, flow temperate, head loss, heat loss, emitter output; Simples :) )

Get this: CIBSE - Underfloor Heating: Design & Installation (Domestic Building Services Panel) 2012 it's only £18.50 and will save a fortune in mistakes.

What he said. Warmup also do a pretty thin system Total-16 Hydronic Underfloor Heating System by Warmup | Warmup

You also need to remember that UFH output depends to some extent on floor covering. Roughly 70-100W/sq.m means it might not be suitable for older properties or rooms with large heat losses, then again I might be teaching granny to suck eggs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to absolutely no clue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock